Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much is a reasonably good paint job on a '66 GTO? What questions should I ask? What are the key issues to decide? My Goat needs paint, and I'm clueless.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Paint jobs are very laborious. The way we do them is this:
We remove all trim, mldgs, mirrors, handles, nameplates, bumpers, etc. Car is then prepped accordingly so body is straight. Any rust has to be dealt with too. Then it's primed with a urethane primer. Sanded, masked and refinished in a base coat clear coat urethane system.(If color is being changed then it's even more work as door jambs and areas under the hood and trunk must be done also). Then car is wet sanded, polished and glazed. Assembly will follow after this is completed. Paint jobs (at our shop) start at 3500.00 and go up according to the work that is needed to prep vehicle. Big dollars, yes. but the finished job is second to none. Remember when refinishing a car...you always get what ya pay for. Ask the shop that you choose if they're going to go through the procedure I have listed. Ask to see some finished work. Look at paint work CLOSELY. Get your face right up to it. Look for imperfections such as dirt , dust etc. If they wet sand and polish there shouldnt be any. Look to see if paint is flat or does it have an orange peel finish. The flatter it is the more it will shine. Depends on your own taste.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Makes me wish I was back up on the Island (grew up in Jersey) so I could get you to do the job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts