Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the body at a shop for this year. They will be doing all body work and paint.

I bought the car with a primer on it, and my guess was it was to hide things. You can tell the body needed work and the qtrs had too much filler on them.

My question is about the paint procedure. The guy does not want to seem to take the whole body down to metal. He says he can test spots and know what's under there and will work on the places where the filler is apparent or doesn't pass his test. I guess he'll just go over the old layers where he thinks there's no need to peek under.

Does this sound right? I'm paying around $10k just for the paint parts of the deal.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
For 10 grand I would expect him to DA the primer off, how do you know the primer wasn't sprayed over the old paint with no prep in some spots?
I suppose it doesn't matter, as long as he's going to stand behind his work, but for the extra labor to repaint the whole car, it sure would be alot easier to do a little sanding now.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I agree. Strip that baby down now and see what you got. Sounds like the body man just wants to strip the most likely areas for rot. Do it right the first time................

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm stripping mine and it doesn't even appear to be bad but I don't to be doing it again someday. Do it once. Do it right. You'll be much happier in 20 years

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
how can he guarantee his work without stripping the car, there could be anything under there, plus you want all the 40 year old paint gone anyway- if theres rust that was bondo-ed over and it starts rusting thru does he cover that ???although my paint job took WAAAY longer than expected and went over the estimate the shop did do it right.

Attachments

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Wow, you might as well take it to Maaco for 3k.....:eek:
As said, I don't know how he could be confidant painting over whatever crap is under the primer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To the Metal

My resto guy is taking my 69 to the metal. 5 or 6 coats of paint on trunk, 4 coats on hood. 3-5 coats of primer. found some surprises that we are dealing with so they dont come back to ruin the new paint. right on when saying do it right the 1st time.:cheers

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I think it can work both ways. I had one stripped to bare in 1982, and by 1991, some very small rust bubbles were appearing in the paint. The car was a dry and rot free, and had no filler in it at all other than the roof lead. I couldn't believe it. I saw it in the bare steel state, and it was cherry. I did another one in 1993 where I blocked the car with a longboard and shot over the original primer/repaint, and no rust bubbles 17 years later. My contention is if the car is rust free and has no issues (never been hit), the factory primer that's been on there 45 years or so will be fine. The problem with stripping is if the car is left bare for any length of time it will flash, and then you'll have issues. In reality, most of these cars have been damaged, and a lot of them have rust issues or bad body work done years ago. In that case, I agree with the strip-to-the-foundation logic of the above posts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts