Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I have a paint question for you. I'm going starlight black which is paint number 9300. My body guy does not recommend this paint for it's acrylic or lacquer, I don't remember which. Anyways, he's thinking polyurethane (I think that's it. I don't know much about paint)? Which is better is your guy's opinion? I know that in vintage guitars, they used lacquer and it looks phenomenal but ages with cracks. Body guy says that I'd be mad at him if he used a single stage paint. Should I push for the stock paint?
Linda

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Hi Linda. the original laquers faded and checked really quickly. I had mine painted with a single stage acrylic enamel in '85 (the '65), and '93 (the '67), and they both still look good. i watched a 1968 movie last night that showed a blue '66 GTO convertible in a close up, and it needed a paint job already!! (Dull and flat). Mine are single stage, which I like. The pros recommend a two stage job: color under clear. I had a two stage job on a '66 once, show quality, and after ten years, the red paint started to fade under the clear coat, and it could not be buffed out or fixed. In hot California, I prefer the buffability of single stage paints, plus the more satin look of the finish. Back in the '60's, GTO's didn't look "wet". That being said, a black base with a clear topcoat would look great on your car, hold up better (black doesn't really fade), and up in Washington, probably last 20 plus years. I would let the painter use what he recommends and is comfortable with. You'll get a better job, and he'll stand behind his work.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Linda, The Urethane is the way to go. Acrylic/Urethane :agree Lacquer is now basically illegal in NY. The new poly urethane paints actually harden better than lacquer and are much more durable..........:seeya: EA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts