Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Some one gave the engine compartment of my GTO a coat of rattle can black. How do I get the black off the booster with out removing the gold color underneath?
I was afraid that paint thinner would be too harsh.
Thanks,
Marc:cheers

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yabba dab...

Test a small inconspicuous spot with a dab of acetone, and rub lightly. If that is anodized, I don't believe it'll hurt it. (Anyone?). If it's painted gold, all bets are off...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would try paint prep solvent cleaner first, then move up to lacquer thinner if required.
I'm guessing the original plating was damaged, hence the black paint.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey All,
Thanks for the ideas. I will start with the lite stuff and work my way up. Maybe the gold won't be so bad...we'll see.
Thanks again,
Marc:cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Test a small inconspicuous spot with a dab of acetone, and rub lightly. If that is anodized, I don't believe it'll hurt it. (Anyone?). If it's painted gold, all bets are off...
Go with the acetone first, then lacquer thinner. If it's paint on the booster, match the paint and re-spray it.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I've had good luck with paint thinner on a scotchbrite pad, using gentle motion. Follow up with rags and you're good to go. I was able to clean off the overspray on the core support of my '67 that had been there for 19 years, and it left the original black paint in good shape. Be gentle and patient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts