Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some tiny spots on my drivers door that look like rust coming through. I'm 99 percent sure I would have noticed them before... too small to get a good pic but I know what exfoliation under paint looks like. I am physically ill... I texted my painter, been about 9 months since the paint job but still wouldn't have expected this so soon.... :thumbdown:

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Don't let it bother you too much. I have some "spots" on my car and have "bad dreams" of doing another frame off or obsessing over how long before I have to repair them. In the long run I probably will but that won't stop me from enjoying the car as is for a while.

It's just paint and if you did base/clear it's fairly easy to repair and match.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
A big reason I don't like taking cars down to bare metal. I did a complete strip down on a '66 GTO I had for show paint.....and it took ten years for the little rust spots to start coming through. I did my '65 in 1985, and my '67 in 1993, but only blocked them to the original finish. Left all that old, factory installed primer intact. No rust specs or issues at all, after decades. Nothing beats the factory primer that was baked and cured, IMO. That said, these weren't rusty cars to begin with. But, what Alky says. Enjoy the car and keep tabs on the trouble spots. If they get too big or bothersome, they can be fixed.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was expecting it after 10 years and you guys are right, finishes are inferior in every way these days thanks to the epa etc... I just wasn't expecting it before I finished reassembly and my painter is not replying to my text.... I'll do my best not to let it get to me but jeez.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
yup join the club- have spot on my " i should have charged you 20,000 for that" paint job
sweetest part is there are 2 right at the door handle on the pass side- started showing about 4 month after driving the car- ,now I just drink more beer and can see any of them

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
i agree with GeeTee, nothing like some lead in your primer to keep it affixed to the metal, only parts i have any problems are the few areas i did take down past the original primer Hood and one lower fender. not a big deal as you have to get on your knees to see the fender and i am getting a GTO hood done for it and with that paint i will probably do the fender up to the lower body line too. I keep on texting my painter too....:D. Guess besides being cheap thats why i decided to do it myself. I would be pissed too if i paid a "PRO" a lot of cash and had problems, not to mention all the stories of the cars lost in bodyshop limbo.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Where on the door are the spots ?
If down low above rocker probably rust from back side
That about the only spot these doors rust out
If any where else probably some surface rust that started on some bare metal after sanding that sat too long before getting primer
Wet sanding through the primer exposing bare metal will start the rust process immediately.
I feel for ya.... some of Brent parts on his car have been painted for 8 months, I keep looking for spots to appear, so far so good, but I won't be shocked if they show up.
This is one of the reasons why I decided 15 years ago to quit doing rust repair and complete paint jobs in my body shop... way too many things to go wrong.
Like Alky said, pretty easy fix if it's base , clear. I wouldn't jump on it right away. Wait and see if you have other spots show up.

Good luck

Bill

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its about 4 inches below handle and 2 inches forward. They are minuscule spots, definitely surface rust starting through. Could be from wet sanding, don't know how bad they will get buy its my experience that they will keep getting bigger. All I can do is hope its isolated to my door...

·
Registered
554 Posts
pitiful

I hate to keep harping on the quality of ANYTHING these days, but I finally have succombed to the fact that the quality of ANY products used IS substandard at best, borderline criminal at worst, all in the name of "environmentalism", but in reality is merely a greedy foreign society trying to bilk foolish Americans into thinking: "Yeah. That looks pretty darned good. I'll pay top dollar for it." Then it is revealed to be sub-quality. You can pay top dollar to the man who has 40 years experience painting vehicles, but his hands are tied because of the choices in materials he must make. Unless you're a millionaire and can afford the "black market" goods, I'm afraid that we are all doomed to to this faux-finish world! :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I sanded my entire trunk lid down to bare metal past factory primer..man that stuff was on there. Shoulda left the primer, now my ENTIRE trunk lid has small rust dots forming a year after the single stage paint job. Some other random spots too on the car, but the trunk lid will be bad a few years down the road.

I spent 22 hours sanding that lid with a hand sander myself too, pure elbow grease. I took so much pride in that part of the resto..

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have since found a couple other spots on the car, all on high spots. No doubt he got too deep wet sanding and didn't treat it. Went to see my painter today and he was gone. The spots are the size of pepper right now and are not over repairs or welds. My question is (for people who have experienced this) how long before it is noticeable? Can't justify or afford another paint job right now. I know corrosion and I know this will not stop in its tracks. Should I just enjoy it for a few years and try to ignore it? :banghead:

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Ok...the painter is 'gone'. Where to? Did you get any type of paperwork or gaurantee on the job? If so, you need to get it taken care of asap. If not, you're stuck. If you are stuck, take comfort that it's not a light colored car and that the blemishes will not be very obvious. Rust needs oxygen to bloom and thrive. Keep the paint sealed with a heavy coat of wax, and you should be looking very good for years. The paint on my '67 is the same color as yours, far from perfect, and showing its age after 20 years. But I enjoy the car now more than ever, warts and all. So, if no refund or redo is forthcoming any time soon, wax the heck out of it and go out and enjoy it. Life's too short....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks geetee, no guarantee other than verbal or receipt on the paint. The painter had gone home with a migraine. I'll wax it and cruise for now, I figured it would be looking bad in 3 years, if it will last longer I'll
Live with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The size of the pepper size bubbles them selves will probably get a little bigger over time. The corrosion should stay confined to the bare metal spots that got exposed during sanding.
You will probably be the only one who will ever know their there, you just got to stop looking at them.;)

Bill

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a couple of tiny exfoliation spots right above my rocker mouldings and just pretend they're not there like advised above :lol:

I would be POd if I had them so soon after paint like you though. My paint job is probably 15 years old but still looks awesome, other than those few spots. I'd demand they repair it and try to get assurance the whole job will hold up for a long time..

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts