Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used the
restoration shop paint kit for $300, just wondering how good it is.
I want to paint my 67 gto burgundy but don't know witch paint to use, first timer. thanks Jim

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Hey jim,
All the keys to getting a good paint job are what happens before and after you do the spraying (especially the before part). The spraying itself really isn't that much of it. However, you DO need to be very careful about material compatibility. Today's finishes are designed to chemically cross-link between layers, so it matters a lot that everything from the bare metal "up" is compatible with each other, and timing also matters too. Lots of products have a "recoat window" - meaning that once you start laying them down, you MUST apply each successive coat within a defined time interval, otherwise you won't get the chemical bonding and you have to sand and start over.

Let me recommend to you a set of videos, available here:
Kevin Tetz's Paintucation OFFICIAL SITE

That's what I used to learn when I painted my '69, and I had never painted a car before in my life. It turned out ok :D

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
jim, what Bear said. Research, research, research. A friend and I pained my '67 in 1993 with single stage PPG urethane enamel. Very small metallic particles. I spent 40 hours cutting and buffing it, (before I knew you weren't supposed to cut and buff metallic single stage) and it came out very well....except for the sanding dust that I forgot to blow out of the windshield channel that ended up on the driver's front fender! Still looks good after 22 years, though. The one thing I did was go with 1968 Flambeau Burgundy, which is significantly darker than the standard Burgundy of 1967. I like it better. Your taste may vary. The more research and homework you do, though, the better. You will save time and MONEY. Keep us posted!

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok- my paint guy wants to put Omni(warwick Blue) on my 69 gto with 3 coats of clear. He said it will be fine. Im worried about about what 75% are saying about it. How about PPG or Global with Omni clear?

·
Registered
48 Posts
OMNI is ok for what it does. It is a budget paint line, and like anything else, you can buy better. But if your painter is comfortable with it I don't see a problem. (I have used it before and probably will again)...

As far as the flex agent, only on the rubber stuff IMO...

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
OMNI is ok for what it does. It is a budget paint line, and like anything else, you can buy better. But if your painter is comfortable with it I don't see a problem. (I have used it before and probably will again)...

As far as the flex agent, only on the rubber stuff IMO...
:agree Nailed it.

Bear

·
Registered
16 Posts
has anyone used the
restoration shop paint kit for $300, just wondering how good it is.
I want to paint my 67 gto burgundy but don't know witch paint to use, first timer. thanks Jim
I use to paint motorcycles, did my share of cars as well since the early 90's
I have always used standox, I recently used restoration shop base, on my vette, standox the color I wanted was over $1000, I paid I believe just over 150.00.. for there base.. I sprayed some test panels to see the coverage, and I was impressed if you used omni, you would see a world of difference in coverage.. there is a lot more to painting than just selecting your base and top coat, but I wont get into that.. what I did was shot the restoration shop base and used my standox clear, thats the only clear I will use.. you wont go wrong with restoration base coat.. DONT GO CHEAP ON CLEAR..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
you wont go wrong with restoration base coat.. DONT GO CHEAP ON CLEAR..
Agreed, I shot mine in Bahama Blue Matrix Base with their premium clear (4 coats) and as a first time painter i was very happy with the results even after 4 years. I have two bubbles i need to fix this winter on hood and trunk lid just from prep not paint.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The most important phase of any restoration? The color and material choice. It's the 1st thing anyone sees from the casual observer to most hard-nosed judge. It's good advice to spend the right $$$ on clear. Color can be "Shop-Line Plus" through a PPG outlet/jobber. More colors available and user friendly from the cost perspective. My recollections of Omni are not good. Limited color selections, "fleet" quality, not really intended for long life and good color hold out. It's cheap for a variety of reasons, none of which helps when doing a refinish on something significant. I've used "Shop-Line Plus" on cars valued well into 6 figures with no ill effects, especially in cost factors. hard to cough up $144.00 for a qt of DBC when Shop-Line in the same color is $62.00. Our cars don't spend 40 hrs a week in the parking lot at work, most likely don't pound through Midwest salt and snow any longer, and usually get pampered at every chance. Just my .02, tax n title extra, see your retailer for details, void where prohibited...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts