Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, new to the forum and GTOs in general. I picked up a 2005 GTO not too long ago and am interested in getting the SAP fascia replica from GTOG8TA, but I'm concerned about how difficult it will be to paint match the fascia to my GTO or how much it will cost to have it done professionally. The GTO is Torrid Red, and as far as I know hasn't been repainted since it was made. The paint is in good condition for the car's age, but I'm still worried about the potential difference in shades not looking good. Are my concerns unwarranted? If I get it done professionally, how much will it cost? Thanks in advance, and here's a link to the fascia in question:

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,033 Posts
If money is an object, then give up on the idea of paint matching. It's not very easy, if doable at all, and any chance of it will be very expensive.

Unfortunately, it's one of those "if you have to ask how much it'll cost, then it's too expensive" deals.

It's tough for the following reasons:
  1. Your existing paint is now UV faded/ affected.
  2. Wet paint doesn't necessarily dry the same color, so eyeballing it is out of the question.
  3. Even the same shop, mixing the same color, 15 minutes apart, can come out different, so you should expect two different shops doing it 18 years apart, to be different.
I've seen GREAT color matches, but it's really just luck.That being said, it's often difficult to even spot big differences between panels, so even if the color of the hood is off from the fascia, it might not be so bad. If it's not metallic, your chances for a decent match improve greatly!!!!!!

It's not so hard to paint yourself, but often might cost more than a pro doing it. You might spend $350 on paint, reducer, hardner, sand paper, and primer... and Maaco might paint the thing for $150.

I'd get a few estimates. What do you have to lose?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If money is an object, then give up on the idea of paint matching. It's not very easy, if doable at all, and any chance of it will be very expensive.

Unfortunately, it's one of those "if you have to ask how much it'll cost, then it's too expensive" deals.

It's tough for the following reasons:
  1. Your existing paint is now UV faded/ affected.
  2. Wet paint doesn't necessarily dry the same color, so eyeballing it is out of the question.
  3. Even the same shop, mixing the same color, 15 minutes apart, can come out different, so you should expect two different shops doing it 18 years apart, to be different.
I've seen GREAT color matches, but it's really just luck.That being said, it's often difficult to even spot big differences between panels, so even if the color of the hood is off from the fascia, it might not be so bad. If it's not metallic, your chances for a decent match improve greatly!!!!!!

It's not so hard to paint yourself, but often might cost more than a pro doing it. You might spend $350 on paint, reducer, hardner, sand paper, and primer... and Maaco might paint the thing for $150.

I'd get a few estimates. What do you have to lose?
Thanks for the advice, I'll look around town and see what people are charging because this is something I'd really like to do, even if it costs an extra couple hundred to do right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, new to the forum and GTOs in general. I picked up a 2005 GTO not too long ago and am interested in getting the SAP fascia replica from GTOG8TA, but I'm concerned about how difficult it will be to paint match the fascia to my GTO or how much it will cost to have it done professionally. The GTO is Torrid Red, and as far as I know hasn't been repainted since it was made. The paint is in good condition for the car's age, but I'm still worried about the potential difference in shades not looking good. Are my concerns unwarranted? If I get it done professionally, how much will it cost? Thanks in advance, and here's a link to the fascia in question:
Beware! Sometimes it's better left alone. I recently had a shop attempt to repair two paint chips on my front bumper and hood. Not only does the color not match, but they slightly scratched some hard plastics and put small rips in the hood insulator in the process. I'm beyond disgusted. Just try and get mint oem parts for these cars....good luck.....

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had someone crash into my car in a parking lot. The body shop painter the rear quarter, lower trunk and bumper. They paint matched it perfect, as far as you couldn’t tell that it had been re-painted. You need to go to a shop that has the color match picture thing. They use a sample from your actual car and the machine spits out the paint that matches it. If you use the original paint code it will never match.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts