Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's begun. I finished painting the door jambs, backs of hood and deck lid, and all the other areas that will be only occasionally or partially visible once the car is assembled. Doing these parts was a good dress rehearsal for the main event, which will follow after I hang all the sheet metal.

Bear

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bear- that is sweet! And Black. My favorite two colors are Black and Chrome.
Keep us posted on your progress. Looking good! Yeah I'm pumped. My 65 is in the booth now. Few more weeks and it will be in my garage...

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
get her hung and spray that sucker....:D, will have pics of mine in Blue on Friday
Cool, can't wait to see your's finished Brian.....the boys are getting closer by the day on mine...soooooo much custom/alterations before paint though......Good Luck fellas! E

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
thanks Eric...ditto on yours, bet it feels good to see your dream car taking shape. I have the trailer coming tonight and taking it in tomorrow afternoon to mask and clean it so i am ready to spray first thing Friday.....:party: then a marathon session of re-assembly over the holiday weekend as the wife and kids are out of town.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
just me the Tempest, my rolling Craftsman, a bottle of Contreras Tequila and a case of bud light....all help is welcome....these numbers can be adjusted accordingly....LOL......:party:

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know that I'll get it done this weekend, but who knows....

I was a little surprised doing the jambs and stuff - it took more base and more clear than I expected, so I'm nervous about making sure I have enough to do the whole job. It'd be bad to have to sand it part way through because I missed a re-coat window before I could get more material...

Here's the plan:
1 coat SPI Epoxy primer used as a sealer (reduced 50%) - I know I've got plenty of this.
2 coats base - PPG DBC 9700 black (reduced 2-1 and activated with DX 57)
4 coats SPI Universal Clear.

Instg8ter, you've done this before --- how much base and clear would you want to have on hand for that?

Thanks,
Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Bear, it's like pouring concrete. You do not want to run out mid job. I'm far from an expert on this, but when we did my '67 way back when, I had about a quart left over. I THINK it's still liquid, too! If you get a little extra, you can always save it for later "just in case". If you run out mid job, well, yikes. Can't WAIT to see the finished product. You are a brave man, painting your car black, all by yourself, in your garage. Heck, that's something Topkat would do!! Here's wishing you no bugs, no wind, and no dust. And remember to blow out all the sanding dust from the window channels (don't ask me how I know about this).
Jeff

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
first car Bear, have done a few bikes back in the day...i know on my primer i was going through around 40 oz per coat i have a gallon at 1:1.5 of color so i should be good there but i was gonna go tomorrow and grab another qt. of clear just in case. am thinking 3 coats base and 4 of clear. I moved booth back to saturday as i had a few setbacks at work today with the storms and i did not get my hood and trunk back on this evening like planned.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
66, the sealer is gray. I'm following PPG's recommendation on the base with 2 medium wet coats. Actually, one comes very close to hiding. The second coat was definitely all it needed in the areas I've done so far. PPG (and others) caution against getting their base "too thick". I made some "air handlers" to try to help manage air in my garage. More air is coming in than is going out, the idea being that the filtered air coming in will cause a slight positive pressure that will tend to force dust and stuff out instead of sucking more in. I'm planning to wet-sand and buff the car too so hopefully that will take care of anything that finds its way into the clear.

I'm liking the SPI clear with their "very slow" activator a lot. The back side of the trunk layed out so nice that it's hard to see how even sanding and buffing it could make it any flatter.

I'm attaching some photos of the air handlers I made. I arrange them so that 3 of them are blowing in, 1 is blowing out.

Bear

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't know that I'll get it done this weekend, but who knows....

I was a little surprised doing the jambs and stuff - it took more base and more clear than I expected, so I'm nervous about making sure I have enough to do the whole job. It'd be bad to have to sand it part way through because I missed a re-coat window before I could get more material...

Here's the plan:
1 coat SPI Epoxy primer used as a sealer (reduced 50%) - I know I've got plenty of this.
2 coats base - PPG DBC 9700 black (reduced 2-1 and activated with DX 57)
4 coats SPI Universal Clear.

Instg8ter, you've done this before --- how much base and clear would you want to have on hand for that?

Thanks,
Bear
i just did a 70 with dupont. i would do 3 coats base on the body. 2 to cover and one for safety. i would have 6 quarts on hand since you are doing inside and out.
i would do 3 coats clear and have 6 quarts on hand. just guessing here since i have never used spi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts