Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t seem to recall where I might have taken this rubber piece from when I tore down my 65’. Is this a rubber insert from within the z-bar tube? It fits perfectly inside between the two ball ends. It also has a small indentation right where the zerk fitting would come in contact with the rubber and it also had dried grease all over it. I can’t find a single image for the bubbler section to help identify it. I suppose it may have
Automotive tire Gesture Wood Tree Glove

Hand Automotive tire Bicycle part Gesture Grey

Hand Arm Sleeve Gesture Bicycle handlebar

nothing to do with the car and just a piece of junk from the trunk when I bought the car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't think that is any OEM part. It's highly unlikely that GM would have used a multicolored plastic for anything being that it would be more expensive and unnecessary. My bet is on "a cool piece of trunk junk".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that is any OEM part. It's highly unlikely that GM would have used a multicolored plastic for anything being that it would be more expensive and unnecessary. My bet is on "a cool piece of trunk junk".
It’s actually rubber and fits almost perfectly in that z-bar space and I confirmed that the rub mark on its side aligns perfectly with the zerk fitting. It almost seems as if it’s there to simply take up space in order to keep the grease at the ball ends. Then again I’m not opposed to dumping it but I figure I’ll hold on to it for now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Product Font Communication Device Screenshot Material property

Product Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Web page

Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Web page

I found a discussion on the Camaro Forum which details this very thing. I seems that some have resorted to filling the dead space within the z-bar with miscellaneous items. See attached images.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nice find Redbird! - It crossed my mind that someone would think to fill in the extra space, but I have to ask "Why?". It's not like it holds more than a dollars worth of grease and the resulting thin layers have more of a chance to separate or cook with the engine and exhaust heat. I say don't do it!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Hmmm. I thought that the factory used a seal at each end? Fill the tube up and you should be good to go. Does grease cost that much nowadays that you have to conserve it?

Personally, never greased up a cross shaft in all my life. Never knew you could.

That is definitely added by someone who had too much time on their hands, not factory.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice find Redbird! - It crossed my mind that someone would think to fill in the extra space, but I have to ask "Why?". It's not like it holds more than a dollars worth of grease and the resulting thin layers have more of a chance to separate or cook with the engine and exhaust heat. I say don't do it!
I totally agree with you. The effort of finding and prepping something to fill the void is not worth the dollar of grease it would take to fill it. I’m just glad to be able to put to rest my initial question as to where the rubber piece came from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts