Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
69 gto building a 461 and would like just a simple air cleaner on top on the qjet instead of the factory 2 snorkle air cleaner. I will be using the tradition pcv line from the carb to the valley pan and my question is do you have guys on the forum here have 2 breathers in either valve cover or just on the passenger? I had an oil leak out the rear main when I first got the car and the rubber hose from the air cleaner to the right valve cover was dry rotted and not sealing well. Got a new hose and breather element in the air cleaner and fixed the leak.

·
Administrator
6,606 Posts
On my 461, I'm running a breather in both valve covers plus one of those fancy adjustable PCV's. I managed to find round breathers that were the same size/shape "on top" but had different sized bases. One is smaller and fits into the rubber grommet on the passenger side where the air cleaner tube used to go, the other replaces the oil filler cap on the driver side.

Don't trash that dual snorkle factory air cleaner. I hear that they're getting hard to find and can be worth some money.

Bear

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Personally, I would NOT try to run "one" breather... unless your PCV valve is in one of the valve covers.

If your PCV valve is staying in the valley, then you'd want a breather in each valve cover, so that you can draw the gasses out of both high points in the engine, and out the valley.

But if you put the PCV in a valve cover, then dont put a breather on that same cover! Add one, preferably TWO, on the other side.

Many of us have problems ventilating the big displacements that these engines produce, and that results in blown seals and gaskets... as you found. Design it thoughtfully and it'll work well.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm running two breathers on the right valve cover and the PCV on the left front valve cover ported to the baseplate of the carb. This is the set up recommended to me by a shop that only builds Pontiac engines. So far I haven't seen any issue running with this configuration. A disclaimer is I don't have a ton of miles on my engine yet.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Personally, I would NOT try to run "one" breather... unless your PCV valve is in one of the valve covers.

If your PCV valve is staying in the valley, then you'd want a breather in each valve cover, so that you can draw the gasses out of both high points in the engine, and out the valley.

But if you put the PCV in a valve cover, then dont put a breather on that same cover! Add one, preferably TWO, on the other side.

Many of us have problems ventilating the big displacements that these engines produce, and that results in blown seals and gaskets... as you found. Design it thoughtfully and it'll work well.
This conversation sounds familiar, maybe I should unleash the pictures ;)

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I’m going with stock valley pan setup and a breather in each cover with the mc Wagner . Hope enough to satisfy this project ..
Just make sure they are good flowing breathers, my two were aftermarket billet ones like you see on some of the Butler motors but they had tiny holes so I did a little enlarging to say the least, and I have a Wagner PCV in the valley but I'm still popping the dipstick slightly on wot runs. If you can put the breather in your mouth, hold your nose and run around your house a few times without running short of air then it's probably ok, although idk what shape you're in ;)

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
So for those of you who have the Wagner ME valve or going to get one I just talked to Gene the owner and they have some new tuning procedures to help with more flow. Here's a picture of page 6 of the shop manual from their site, it leaves the spring in the cruise adjustment but you do have to keep an eye on your plugs if you don't have an oil catch can because it could flow to much oil into the cylinders.
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Paper

1 - 20 of 21 Posts