Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What manufacturer recalled 750,000 pickup truck in 2005??? This same manufacturer in 2006 has also had every model it produces experience a recall.

Times up. It's Toyota. So much for their reputation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do you have a source for this statistic? I'd like to send it to some people who questioned my sanity for buying a Pontiac.

GM and Ford recalls tend to make big headlines, import recalls not so much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my line of work I go to many automotive parts manufactures facilities. From foundries in Mexico, all through out the U.S. and even have a die casting customer that I visit in Nova Scotia that produces servos for the 4l80E. You name it and I have probably seen it made, engine blocks, crankshafts, headlight assemblys, you name it. Alot of the parts used on todays cars are produced not by the auto manufacturer but by a subcontractor. One example (of many) is GKN Sintered Metals (a very fine company I might add). They have a plant in Sanford NC and a state of the art facility in Celya Mexico. They produce CV joints for just about every type of vehicle, from cars to atvs. Now me being a gear head I always keep my eyes peeled when I'm in places like this and do my own personal quality evaluation of the parts being made. But most importantly I always ask who their strictest customers are and it is ALWAYS Toyota first and Honda a close second. I don't think that I have to list who the least concerned customers are. Please understand that I don't have a perticular love for imports but I have yet to personaly see any Toyota or Honda parts made in mexico. I can't say that for the big three or even several german car companys. Every car company is going to have recalls but some do try harder to produce a quality automoble.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yeah, Toyota recalled more cars than they made last year. It was in the millions.

BTW, Toyota Tacoma pickups are being assembled in Mexico now. They all come over the border at the Otay Mesa crossing southeast of San Diego. I sat behind long lines of them waiting to get over the border this summer.

In fact, Toyota's building a whole new Toyota City complex in Ensanada -- or some ocean port town just over the border -- because the labor's so cheap and the Mexican government is building a deep water port to siphon off commerce from Long Beach.

Based on my recent experience working with Mexican labor, I wouldn't trust them to fold a burrito.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can tell you this with absolute certainty, my GTO that I purchased last Monday has more bogus problems than any car I have ever purchased. Hour fourteen of ownership-Check Oil light comes on. dealer says it's a glitch drive on, forget about it. Next day Light comes on again they say it's a Oil Level sensor, NO Big Deal. These are the Experts, car doesn't have an Oil Level sensor. Yesterday, I slide the passenger rear seat back on it's track, and the seat literally breaks off the beauty trim piece on the slider. Lets see, then I notice the fricken Dome light doesn't work. I pull the cover off and test the bulb, it's bad. At this point my wifes getting home from work, I back the car out of her way, she walks up to me and says.....I hate to add insult to injury but one of your reverse lights is burned out!!!!! This is a brand NEW CAR.

I'm so happy I got a couple of weeks of vacation, so I can run around and get this POS fixed. Oh wait, I haven't tried the 6 disk changer yet, this otta be a good one. Now I know why this car is cancelled, sorry but this is completely inexcusable for a new car.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Man, this car has been a better than midline as far as issues. I agree that your problems are completely unacceptable. Take in your list and get the crap fixed. Have them check the voltage output, ground, and battery. I can see a small trim section coming off, but two bad lights; never seen it. Several owners have seen weird warning light and gauge behavior when the battery is less than perfect.

I’d tell the general manager how unhappy you are and have them inspect the car from top to bottom.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The battery idea is an interesting thought. The worst part about this car is that it has neither a voltage or oil pressure gauge. I just can't get over that fact.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd say so far the worst experiences for me was with my Lancer Evolution... problem after problem after problem. It was so heartbreaking too, cuz I adored the car. No problems with the GTO............................. yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you revisit your original thread about that? I posted there...http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?p=99973#post99973
Thanks Mike, actually I did. If I can get all this BS resolved shortly, with no other problems, I'm going to order the JHP gauge set. I actually wanted to get some headers etc. for the car right away, but have now decided against it. I really don't trust the car. I've never felt that way about an American car, whoops it's Australian. Come to think of it, the only cars I would never touch are British. I should have seen the connection between the two.

Hopefully these are the only issues the car will have, I really bought this car because I liked the interior and the LS-2/T-56. It does get great gas mileage for a V-8, but I think GM is fudging the horsepower and torque bigtime. If this thing is reliable and gets me back and forth to work, it's done the job. Sorry about the negativity, but I never expected this many stupid problems in the first week of ownership.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I completely understand your frustration. Still, I don’t know if I would fault the car just yet. Remember, sales guys and prospective customers get in and out of the car when shopping. Yeah, maybe they kick some trim or something. Also, dealers let the battery die and then have a porter jump it even though they don’t know crap about proper jumping procedures. I think your car’s suffering from lot trauma and you’ll get it worked out. Don’t leave the service department until you’re 101% happy.

As far as torque and HP numbers, everyone that has had their cars on a dyno shows expected numbers. Your computer’s still learning and the torque management is too aggressive in my opinion. It will get stronger as you drive it and once you’re through with these annoyances get the torque management turned off.

The GTO is just about the lease expensive car I’ve ever owned, but it’s - by far - the best I’ve ever owned; I love it.

Oh, one more thing - while you’re at the service department have them check your front struts for leaks. I hate to mention it, but it’s an issue on some 06 models.

·
Registered
255 Posts
BAck to the original topic of this post. I have a 91 Toyota 4-Runner with over 200K miles now. Got it used in 93 with 56K miles, had the 60K mile service performed and a week later it blew a head gasket. Toyota fixed it saying that they had problems with that particular engine. I'd been receiving recall notices for years about this same problem. At 180K miles it did it again, I took in the card and they replaced the whole long block, not rebuilt, but new. The bill came to just over $6000.00 and I didn't pay a dime.

At least when Toyota does a recall, they stand behind it. Unlike Ford and GM, that would rather sweep the issue under the rug, then admit something is wrong. The recall's i've gotten on my truck (04 Chevy 3500 HD) are minimal but I usually have to bring them to their attention to get them fixed.

just my .02...

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
What manufacturer recalled 750,000 pickup truck in 2005??? This same manufacturer in 2006 has also had every model it produces experience a recall.

Wait, what manufacturer has had hardtops flying off their halo car for the past SEVEN years and still can't get it right? Uh, it's the same one that had the steering lock, lock up while your driving. By the way the resolution for that is to reprogram the computer. If that doesn't work, they pull out the whole lock assembly. Gee that's the way to fix the problem. How about complete engine failures due to an unknown oiling problem with the dry sump, or valve spring failures after one week of ownership. Exploded rear ends, half shafts snapping. Let's not point fingers at Toyota or Honda or any other manufacturer. Perceived quality is just that, perception isn't contrived. It comes from experience. The number of recalls may be due to the willingness of a manufacturer to step up and take care of a problem, rather than blame the customer or an outside element.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"Perception"

You pulled my trigger. I gotta tell you first that hate Toyota. Perception is not always the truth. I think they lie in every commercial and if their feet were held to the fire, they would fail. They dislike recalls and will avoid if at all possible. In the mid to late 90's they huge engine sludge problems and never had a recall. Besides, their stying sucks. I love to beat any Toyota off the line.

:) BTW, I am 62 and love my GTO.

·
Registered
249 Posts
BAck to the original topic of this post.
At least when Toyota does a recall, they stand behind it. Unlike Ford and GM, that would rather sweep the issue under the rug, then admit something is wrong. The recall's i've gotten on my truck (04 Chevy 3500 HD) are minimal but I usually have to bring them to their attention to get them fixed.

just my .02...

Chris

I have not had any dealing with Toyota but with GM its been a long fight with issues that still dont get fixed leaving you pissed every time you deal with them and get nowhere

1 - 20 of 43 Posts