Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im new to this Pontiac thing, and I was wondering what performance parts are the biggest bang for your buck on these. I mean what parts really help the performance out. I'm not wanting to pull apart the motor and do heads/cam work or anything, but I mean more external parts.

I see the ram air kits for sale for about $1000, but for 20hp, is that a good hp to dollars ratio?

What about intake spacers? carb advice? air filter? headers/header-back? feed me some info :)

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Open element air cleaner, a nice big one, not a small chrome one because its cheaper. Good set of 2 1/2 dual pipes and free flowing mufflers. If you have an automatic, a shift improver kit will help. Good tune-up, hotter coil, 8mm plug wires. If you still have points, you can get a conversion kit to go electronic -its an easy conversion, but you have to make sure you use a 12 volt power source to hook to the distributor as the factory wire is designed to only allow 8 volts to the points or they will burn up. An open carb spacer is said to help a bit, but you have to have the hood clearance. The factory cast iron intake is your best choice over many of the aftermarket manifolds as they are made for specific RPM's and you may lose a bit on lower end with some of them. I always used the Q-jet, but others may have opinions on other choices for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
what brand air cleaner is good? I always like using Amsoil stuff, but would their 4 inch tall filter work on there, or just the 3 inch? How does Amsoil work on them? I see there are different heights, so i guess it's trial and error as far as fitment

Im sure i will have more questions once it gets here. I wouldnt mind doing a full fluid change as well

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
what brand air cleaner is good? I always like using Amsoil stuff, but would their 4 inch tall filter work on there, or just the 3 inch? How does Amsoil work on them? I see there are different heights, so i guess it's trial and error as far as fitment

Im sure i will have more questions once it gets here. I wouldnt mind doing a full fluid change as well
I have never had a specific brand. I like cheap, but who knows. K&N gets a lot of coverage, but they are usually high priced. You don't necessarily have to go "tall", you can go larger diameter. I like to get a big diameter air cleaner/base. I have found that I can usually match another size similar in dia. and then find one a bit taller if I have the room. So, it may indeed be a bit of trial and error here.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Hey, im new to this Pontiac thing, and I was wondering what performance parts are the biggest bang for your buck on these. I mean what parts really help the performance out. I'm not wanting to pull apart the motor and do heads/cam work or anything, but I mean more external parts.

I see the ram air kits for sale for about $1000, but for 20hp, is that a good hp to dollars ratio?

What about intake spacers? carb advice? air filter? headers/header-back? feed me some info :)

What are your goals? What kind of performance are you after ie: track, top end, road race, fuel economy? What is your combo now? Cubic inches, trans, rear gear etc.

You might be surprised what a good dyno tune can do for performance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dyno tune

x2 dyno tune .. you would be surprised at the power available with a proper tune ... not cheap but most times dollar per horsepower best money you can spend ...they will get the most out of what you have and tell you where your lacking ....and that will let you know what direction you should go to get more HP. in the future without the hit and miss headache

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
I've literally seen a customer bring a car into my friends dyno shop and pick up 80 rwhp and improved drive-ability and gas mileage. That's money well spent.

Funny thing with that customer was he didn't believe the power increase until he took it for a "spin" :lol:. He thought the car had trouble hooking up in first gear before, now it spun like crazy in second gear :willy:.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Lessee....performance parts, bang for the buck....okay......'Holley Equipped' sticker on the driver's side 1/4 window. Check. Barefoot gas pedal. Check. Gas, Grass, or Ass, Nobody Rides for Free license plate frame...Check. Gabriel Hijacker air shocks in the back to clear the N-50's on the slot mags......check. All of these improvements seemed to work on my first GTO back in the '70's.....they're sure to work on yours!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts