Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you experiencing lots of paint chips? I've only got 9000 miles, but looking at my hood, you'd swear I've put 50,000 on it. I've never had a car that does everything else so well, but has such fragile paint! Most of the cars I've had in the past had at least 100,000 miles on them, but looked like new when I got rid of them. I think I'll see what kind of warranty support I can get on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
99 times out of 100 the chips you are referring to are from stones being kicked up on the highway from the cars in front of you. It really sucks, I admit, but chances that it is because of a paint defect are slim. The way our frt end sheetmetal is designed makes them prone to these type of hazards.Although a BRA takes away from the appearance of the car, it will save the paint work from getting damaged. Tuff call.....:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Got quite a few. Pro'ly paint the front end soon.

But, the paint quality on the GTO is better than the '02 Camaro SS I got rid of for the GTO That was Onyx Black ( GM 01 Black ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
johnebgoode said:
99 times out of 100 the chips you are referring to are from stones being kicked up on the highway from the cars in front of you. It really sucks, I admit, but chances that it is because of a paint defect are slim. The way our frt end sheetmetal is designed makes them prone to these type of hazards.Although a BRA takes away from the appearance of the car, it will save the paint work from getting damaged. Tuff call.....:eek:

Yeah, the damage is from debris, and I have one that is down to the metal. But I also have several spots that are very small. You have to get real close to see them. A little bit bigger than a pin prick, but there must be about 20 or 30 of them, all over the front half of the hood. Granted, this is my first black car, but I've had 6 other new cars, and the only one with paint that was this damage prone was a red '85 VW GTI. That paint was so soft and pliable, you could push your thumb nail into it and leave an indentation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Good 2 go said:
Are any of you experiencing lots of paint chips? I've only got 9000 miles, but looking at my hood, you'd swear I've put 50,000 on it. I've never had a car that does everything else so well, but has such fragile paint! Most of the cars I've had in the past had at least 100,000 miles on them, but looked like new when I got rid of them. I think I'll see what kind of warranty support I can get on this.



Yea, ...I have only 5,500 miles on mine, & months & months ago I noticed a few small chips on the hood.

I gotta wonder If it could be a quality problem in the paint, ..or the paint cure process?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
raven1124 said:
I remember somebody saying that the paint they used for our cars sucked b/c of some law in Australia. They use a lower grade paint or something like that. Anybody heard of this?
No. That's a new one on me:cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
same problem here, and it drives me nuts. How dissapointing. I wonder why no other colors are complaining of this?

The biggest problem with my car is the whorrible overspray on the top of the car (hood and very top).

It's so bad, it's not even smooth when I wax it.

Wish I caught it before I bought it.

TM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Vader953 said:
same problem here, and it drives me nuts. How dissapointing. I wonder why no other colors are complaining of this?

The biggest problem with my car is the whorrible overspray on the top of the car (hood and very top).

It's so bad, it's not even smooth when I wax it.

Wish I caught it before I bought it.

TM
Tim,
I had the same problem with overspray, I bought a "Mothers" brand clay bar kit and used it to clean off the overspray, very effective and no paint removal, just the roughness of the over spray. Easy to use and the process only took about 45 mins. for the whole car. Good luck :cheers
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top