Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very shortly here, i'll be the proud new poppa of an 05 goat. The dealer had a silver one on the lot that I test drove yesterday, and I was able to get it on a quiet two lane paved road for a test drive.

Let's just say, this dog can eat. Even though the tester car was an automatic transmission, I was more than impressed with the accelleration and the tight handling.

My brother-in-law has had a Corvette C-5 for about four years now, and loves to gloat on how awesome it is.

I was so amazed that the goat has a much smoother ride, and actually a better fit and finish than his C-5 does.

I wasn't really crazy about the color as i'd like a lighter color body (it's so hot in the south in the summer), plus I wanted one with a manual tranny. The dealership has located the one I want (bright yellow, stick) and we're waiting for them to bring it down from Fayetteville, NC today. Possibly this evening, but more than likely tomorrow morning, she'll be prepped and ready.

I'm getting $10k on my trade in (Grand Prix 02, paid for), $1k in incentives from GM and financing the balance at 5.25% (60 mos, roughly 22k). My payments will be under $400/mo.

I can't wait!!! :willy:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I Advise You Get Tires

YOU ARE GOING TO WANT TO GET BETTER TIRES. I AM WAITING FOR MY NEW ONES TO COME IN Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 AND IN THE MEAN TIME I LOVE THE BURNOUTS I CAN DO WITH THE STOCK TIRES. PERFECT DONUTS WITH THE TC OFF. CAR IS SCARY TO PUNCH IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO HANLDE A MUSCLE CAR. IF YOU PLAN ON UPGRADING THEN GO OUT AND HAVE FUN WEARING OUT THE STOCK TIRES, IT IS GREAT.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats Aiptasia, :cheers

[These cars sure do get squirrelly] - I will second that! I was playing around with the traction control after it had rained. I wasn’t sure just how much it really keeps the car in control... found out real fast! The ass end came around with just the slightest tap of the throttle! I re-enabled TC huge difference. A def must when there’s wet roads involved. With only 790 miles on mine, I haven’t roasted the tires yet... Temptation certainly is there though!

A tip I will offer up, get a good radar detector... you will need it!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Practice Makes Perfect

I REALLY SUGGEST THAT IF YOU CAN AFFORD NEW TIRES PRACTICE PUNCHING IT WITH THE STOCK ONES. I HAVE HAD CLASSIC MUSCLE CARS FOR YEARS NOW, FIRST ONE AT 17. THEY DON'T HAVE TC AND THEY DON'T HANDLE AS WELL AS TODAYS CARS. MY '68 CAMARO IS PUSHING OVER 450hp AND DOES 180'S GOING AROUND CORNERS IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. GET GOOD AT DRIVING WITH THE TC OFF JUST IN CASE IT STOPS WORKING. PLUS I ALWAYS HAVE IT OFF WHEN HAVING FUN, MASTERING HOW MUCH GAS TO GIVE AND STAY IN CONTROL IS PART OF THE FUN. YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO KEEP THE REAR GOING WHERE YOU WANT IT TO BY ADJUSTING THE THROTTLE AND STEARING. SO FIND A BIG EMPTY LOT AND TRY PUNCHING IN A TURN. GET USED TO THE FEELING AND THEN TRY TO CONTROL HOW MUCH SPIN YOU GET. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE PREPARED THEN TO FIND OUT YOU OR A PASSENGER ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE TC BUTTON AND NOW ARE GOING INTO A SPIN ON A BUSY ROAD.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Find some autocrosses in your area and go drive as hard as you can. this is a good safe environment to figure out how the brakes, t/c tires and throttle work together. These cars are great fun as they actually can go quite fast in a controlled manner. I've been to 3 and if it doesn't snow/rain too hard tomorrow will do my fourth.

·
Registered
195 Posts
For me the low ratio steering with this car makes it a little tough to make quick adjustments. Not very responsive in this department. Especially with the tilt and telescopic wheel down my elbows hit the high seat bolsters.

I need to push this vehicle to its limits so that I can learn them. :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
There is a steering technique called shuffel steering that overcomes this. Essentially you never cross one hand over the other, rather keep them on the side of the wheel that they are attatched to your shoulders. It takes some practice but works really well. I started practicing it a while ago and I do it all the time now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
OK
Right turn comming up.
right hand at 12
left hand about 7
start turn
when right hand hits about 3 move back to 12
left hand keeps turning till about 10 til 12
by this time right hand should be gripping wheel and stating to continue turn
while right hand turns , left hand goes to 9 and grips wheel and so on till you have turned as far as you need to.
"times" are related to where your hands are not where the wheel is.
this can be done very quickly because your hands are not moving very far. You also always have one hand gripping the wheel so it does not get away from you.
You also will not get your hans/arms caught on each other because the never cross over and you never run out of motion because your arm wont go any farther.
You can go back to center the same way if the radius or the corner changes or let the wheel slide through your hands. this way you can control the speed of the return to center by how hard you grip.
I prcticed this for a long time in parking lots or quite residential strees as at first it seems wierd but after a while you will be amazed how fast this can turn your car and how much control you will have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mobil1 synthetic every 2500 miles, don't cheap it. Use 93 octane i know it's expensive but do it. If you're going to mod it for performance then new pushrods and new driveshaft are your two weakest links. Oh and you will definately blow through the stock 245 tires in about six months =) so start saving. welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.