Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Red/Red M6 in Dallas, flying up there from San Antonio on Thursday to pick it up. Was wondering if anyone knew the part # and/or price of the SAP grills? I really liked the way it looked on the Black 05 i saw for sale here in town. Not really interested in the rest of the ground effects package. Is it just a simple swap with the factory grills or is it more complicated?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
BigDogsTX said:
Found a Red/Red M6 in Dallas, flying up there from San Antonio on Thursday to pick it up
Whatever you do, go over that car with a fine tooth comb before driving it off the lot. Even get on your hands and knees and look under the front and rear bumpers for shipping and/or delivery damage. My back bumper was severely warped underneath the car -- and you only saw it if the car was on a slight grade. Thankfully, my dealer came through and got a new one put on.

Also, make sure you get two sets of keys (sets meaning the remote key and valet key), the owner's manual, owner's CD, and the ID card with all the various security codes. Bring your tire pressure gauge and make sure the pressures are around 40 at each corner (yeah, yeah, I know that's high -- but that's my preference). Look over all 4 of the floor mat anchor posts, too. Make sure they're (1) in the car and (2) not broken. Carefully remove them and inspect the teeth at the end of the post.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
275 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Whatever you do, go over that car with a fine tooth comb before driving it off the lot. Even get on your hands and knees and look under the front and rear bumpers for shipping and/or delivery damage. My back bumper was severely warped underneath the car -- and you only saw it if the car was on a slight grade. Thankfully, my dealer came through and got a new one put on.

Also, make sure you get two sets of keys (sets meaning the remote key and valet key), the owner's manual, owner's CD, and the ID card with all the various security codes. Bring your tire pressure gauge and make sure the pressures are around 40 at each corner (yeah, yeah, I know that's high -- but that's my preference). Look over all 4 of the floor mat anchor posts, too. Make sure they're (1) in the car and (2) not broken. Carefully remove them and inspect the teeth at the end of the post.

Enjoy your ride.
Great advice here. I've now test driven one '05 model and looked at several more at Houston and Dallas dealerships. A few of them had broken floor mat anchor posts. Some were missing entirely.

·
Registered
307 Posts
floor mat anchors

BigDogsTX said:
Is a broken floor mat anchor post really a reason to not take delivery of the car? Or is it something that can easily be fixed at the dealership?
It's not a reason to refuse the car, as long as the dealer offers to replace them. My dealership didn't have them in the car, when I mentioned it to the sales guy he had a set ordered and mailed to me (they are about 60 miles away from me).

·
Registered
316 Posts
not to sound like a retard but how many remotes/keys did you guy's get, the dealer told me that the car only came with one key. To me it sounded like a load of BS, if it does come with 2 the dealer owes me $180 for the second key I had to order.

·
Registered
307 Posts
keys

Braman'sGTO said:
not to sound like a retard but how many remotes/keys did you guy's get, the dealer told me that the car only came with one key. To me it sounded like a load of BS, if it does come with 2 the dealer owes me $180 for the second key I had to order.

Your car should come with two ignition keys and two glovebox keys for a total of four. If you only got one of each, you got ripped off IMO.

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
Braman'sGTO said:
I got two keys with my 2005 Yellowjacket, so i let my husband have one!!!! :rofl:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back to San Antonio after picking up my 2005 Red/Red M6 in Dallas, gotta say I'm very impressed. I was quoted an internet price of 32,067 which i thought was pretty good, while on my way to the airport the Dealer called to tell me some good news; It seem Pontiac today announced a $1,000 incentive on the GTO's so I was going to save some money...WOO HOO. I was very impressed he called as I would have been extremely [email protected]#$d off if i had found out about the incentive after i took the car.
Thank you to B A Betterperson for the tips on inspecting the car. It was missing all the floor mat anchors as well as the CD. They pulled the anchors from another car they had on the lot and found the CD. Overall I was very impressed with the dealership (David McDavid Pontiac in Irving) They had all the paperwork ready for me and I was through in about an hour, including a test drive.
I hit the road about 9pm and made it to San Antonio in about 4hrs. The trip computer said i averaged 66.6 mph (go figure) and 23.7 MPG. I got a thums up from a cop at a gas station in Waco and pulled over just north of Austin for going 80 in a 60. Looking at my lisence and insurance the cop handed me back my insurance card thinking it was for the wrong car "it says Pontiac GTO here" i told him it was a GTO and he looked and said "oh, i thought it was a Mazda" He was pretty embarassed when he figured out his mistake...probably why he let me off.
Really excited aobout the car, have looked in the garage about a dozen times now just to see it. Thanks to everyone for all the tips, I have been looking at these forums for a few months now and really felt like I knew more about these cars than any of the dealers I saw.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You probably did know more than the dealers, this forum is very user friendly. I knew next to nothing when I came on here, and now have salesman telling me that I know more about the car than they do. Which is a compliment that gives me a SEG every time I hear it. Enjoy your new Goat. :party:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You're welcome for the tips. Those floor mat anchors are like musical chairs -- somebody is going to wind up without them if they're not careful. Funny how the dealers always go and take them from another car.

Don't forget to save the window sticker and a copy of the 2005 sales brochure. Comes in handy if you ever sell -- particularly if you do private party transactions. If you've got the time, read the owner's manual. There are some very cool features in the car, like the programmable instrument cluster settings, that nobody at the dealer knows anything about.

And put a good coat of wax on it. I did a bunch of crazy things like color sanding my car -- but you really don't need to go that far. Just a wipe down with a mild solvent like P&S Remove All (to get the adhesive from the shipping wrappers off), a thorough wash with a soap like Meguiar's (doesn't have any waxes, etc. in it), a base polish like Klasse All-In-One (to get rid of any mild oxidation during sitting and scratches from the dealer's daily wipe downs), and a top coat with Meguiar's #7 show glaze (to seal everything up). You won't believe how your red paint will pop when finished. It will GLOW.

·
Registered
316 Posts
jontyrees said:
Unless there are a couple of keys hiding in the glovebox, I only got the two main remote keys - no valet keys. :confused
there are no valet keys, in the 05 there are 2 ignition keys and 2 glove box keys. You should call you dealer and say WTF. My dealer only gave me 1 ignition key, I called them today and said "HAY, WTF, I just spent $180 on a key that was sapose to come with the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.