Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you know I joined this site a couple of weeks ago after I purchased my 1964 GTO barn find. I have some topics posted- general questions- to plate or not to plate--Mystery switches- blower manifold/radio delete plate wanted----We did not plan on buying at the time but at $800.00 I had to buy it on the spot. We did not have a camera so we bought a throw away and are still waiting to have those developed.

But I did take some digital pic's once we got it home. It did have some left front suspenion damage other than that it is is in great shape. After 25 plus years of storage with some work it started right up. Here are the pic's hope you enjoy, this is a dream come true for me..... Thanks for looking.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Looks like a score...can you say "RESTO MOD"....that GTO would make a sweet street machine....................When in doubt...chrome it! :cheers

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
WOW. That looks exactly like the GTO's my "group" and I used to buy for about $1500 back in 1979! At 1500.00, back then, they were good buys, and they were in about the same condition your car is in. I don't know where you are, (I see CA plates on the CAR), but in California,where I am, that '64 of yours would go for around 8 to 10,000 in the shape it's in right now. It truly is a time capsule. It has no more rust/wear than a 10-15 year old CA car....all due to its inside storage. Excellent buy. The BUMPERS alone are worth 800!!!!! You could restore it to factory specs or resto/rod it: you have so little capitol tied up you win no matter what. I vote for fairly stock!!!! Good luck, and keep us informed. We'll help all we can. Thanks for sharing!
Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after months of work we are close to to being on the road again. After straighting the frame and replacing EVERY front end part except the steering arm including a new steering box. I went with QA1 coilovers and poly/graphite bushings and a quicker steering ratio. My question to you guys is this : I have a alignment rack from my circle track days and I need some starting alignment spec's for this application. HELP anyone????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jeff . You wouldn't know where to download 64 info such as torque spec's, tech stuff like that ? thanks again for your time

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I know Rukee. You would think that they would rub but they do NOT touch the fenders. The previous owner welded on some sort of traction bars that replace the rear lower control arms. They have 3 quarter bolts that lock them solid, plus the old school air shocks combined with what I think are one ton truck or cadillac coil springs, the rear end is pretty much a hard tail. You can change the tires , Unbolt the bar locks, let the air out of the shocks and it still rides like a brick. Should seen my face the first real bump I hit. My teeth are still rattling......No and I mean NO wheel hop though....good for track, sucks for street....Original rearend too....What to do????? The front with the new parts and QA1's rides so nice......What to do for rear is still up in the air......

·
Registered
48 Posts
It LIVES !!!!!! Here is the car rolling out to take it's first road trip in 26 years!!:D

My God. Those rear tires belong on something like Big Foot or Grave Digger.

Helluva job getting her back in shape! :cheers

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Yeah, I know Rukee. You would think that they would rub but they do NOT touch the fenders. The previous owner welded on some sort of traction bars that replace the rear lower control arms. They have 3 quarter bolts that lock them solid, plus the old school air shocks combined with what I think are one ton truck or cadillac coil springs, the rear end is pretty much a hard tail. You can change the tires , Unbolt the bar locks, let the air out of the shocks and it still rides like a brick. Should seen my face the first real bump I hit. My teeth are still rattling......No and I mean NO wheel hop though....good for track, sucks for street....Original rearend too....What to do????? The front with the new parts and QA1's rides so nice......What to do for rear is still up in the air......
You need to get the rear to move or you'll break some parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies,The rear tires are called Firestone Big Jelony's , the tread looks like Old School MT's . I have never seen another set ever or been able to find any info on them. They almost seem to be an early wrinklewall tire(or they are just REALLY old and wrinkle from age!!!!!) on old Ansens 15 x 14's. The rear of the frame is fully boxed to the front, along with the crossmembers. At this point I think I'm going to sacrafice these one off traction bars and becuase they bolt into the stock rearend mounts and then were welded, I think I can save the rearend brakets if I'm carefull but the bars will be destroyed in the process. Then I'll remove the air shocks(new lower control arms, new coil overs,and some old Halibrands with new tires. I'll take some pic's of the rear and post them soon. Thanks for any input. They say other opinions can't hurt, what would you do ?????

·
Registered
36 Posts
$800 bucks huh?... I hate you.. I mean congrats.. Thats a great looking car especially considering that deal. The obviously didnt know what they had.. :cheers

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Couldn't you "unweld" the ladder bars/lower control arms, redrill them and reuse them? Then put some normal rear springs in it and leave the nostalgia value, while restoring a decent ride to the car. That car has so much old school cool to it I wouldn't do anyting except add a straight axle in the front!!! Gasser's rock.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts