Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out if pinstripes were standard on 64 gto's
Maybe it started mid year or only at some factories.
I have seen some cars with pinstripes and some pictures with pinstripes.
What do people know about this?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
The 1964 Pontiac Body Shop Manual has an illustration that looks like a stripe.
I can't BELIEVE you would even question me. Man, you have some big ones. LOL

My info came from the GTO Association Guide that lists all the info for the various years. They also had a list of factory/dealer options and I didn't see anything for pinstripe. The 1965 GTO did include an asteric on the exterior color black and noted it as a pinstripe color.

So, that is where I found the info, but with Pontiac's never say never. It is quite possible a dealer could have added it after the 1965 cars showed up or a customer may have wanted to add the pinstripe. I don't think adding it would hurt value at all if you wanted to add the pinstripe to spruce the car up, but it appears at this time that it was not a factory option.

Here may be a little more info if you wanted to replicate a factory pinstripe: 67 GTO Pinstripe

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't BELIEVE you would even question me. Man, you have some big ones. LOL

My info came from the GTO Association Guide that lists all the info for the various years. They also had a list of factory/dealer options and I didn't see anything for pinstripe. The 1965 GTO did include an asteric on the exterior color black and noted it as a pinstripe color.

So, that is where I found the info, but with Pontiac's never say never. It is quite possible a dealer could have added it after the 1965 cars showed up or a customer may have wanted to add the pinstripe. I don't think adding it would hurt value at all if you wanted to add the pinstripe to spruce the car up, but it appears at this time that it was not a factory option.

Here may be a little more info if you wanted to replicate a factory pinstripe: 67 GTO Pinstripe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here a few ‘64 pinstripe pics on CC
Don’t think it looks so bad at all..
It’s just enough to see it ,but the original
Outline is still elegant..
Would be nice to know what the stripe height is ...1/8”or maybe 3/16”?
And also the Distance from top edge?
If I can find the right blue color shade,
may consider this myself...
9BF7EDC7-79FB-48A6-AA89-DD173EAA0358.jpeg
8E7B46DD-512E-4673-9B8B-491D4CDAAD1E.jpeg
74615D2E-6275-4593-9F97-96CEE171B696.jpeg
1AC169A9-7601-4602-A40A-65A24A2E8847.jpeg
BD48C04B-14F6-4A81-AA32-173D04969EAD.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
As has been posted, NO pinstripes from the factory on 64 GTO's (or Lemans, Tempest). Single pinstripe in 65-6 and dual in 67. Any pictures of 64's you see on the interest with pinstripes have had them put on as an aftermarket accessory.

But ultimately it's your car and if you like the stripe, by all means put it on yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with those who say "no pinstripes in 64". My '64 has been in the family since 1965. It had taped pinstripes so I'm pretty sure they were either added by the original owner or by the dealership. I don't recall seeing another '64 around here with pinstripes back in the day - and I lived in Pontiac, MI at the time. I've also never seen another car with the same pinstripes mine had - and will have again. The top pinstripe was 1/8" and the bottom stripes are each 1/2". The pictures aren't great because they are pictures of old photos - you can see the dates on them. Note that the top stripe curves down all the way to the "end" of the sheet metal at the front and does the same in the back all the way down to the bumper.
GTO_1970-20cropped.jpg

This is a better view of how the front of the top pinstripe ended. This worked well with a square end on the tape:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts