Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys- I recently bought an endoscopic camera to connect to my iPhone. I wanted to get a view of my piston tops to see if I could surmise what the previous owner had dropped in. Snaked the camera through spark plug hole and pictures are from #1 and #6 chambers. The motor is a 1964 421 with the 77 heads. The motor seems to run fine on 92 octane. So I have two questions, (1) do these pistons look stock, or are they dished a bit to drop my cr (and why I seem to have no isssue with 92). And (2) the #1 piston looks a bit discolored at top - is that normal or sign of pinging danger? I have never heard this motor ping, although it is free flowing exhaust that is pretty loud. Thoughts appreciated, thank u.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Not factory and it appears they are dished pistons to lower compression. Top of the piston looks normal as you will get carbon deposit on the tops - they do not stay shiny like new for very long.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for confirming Jim. I continue to be impressed with po decisions. He had passed away so did not get to talk about the car...

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
What Jim said. Custom dished pistons. Lucky you. Whoever built that engine built it to live on today's gas. Win-win for you!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts