Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but that is one sweet ride!

Let's Go Cowboys!!!

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
If you jack the front end off the ground and grab the passenger wheel and try to force it left to right, back and forth, there should be NO up and down movement from the pitman arm. Left to right movement is okay, but any up and down movement means the part is worn out.

*edit*
Da...that`s for the idler arm, not the pitman arm.
/me crawls under a rock

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The pitman arm should be all the way on the sector shaft, but not rubbing the body of the gearbox where the sector shaft comes out. There should be a small gap...some cars have a felt dust shield here. The arm should be far enough on the sector shaft so that the shaft protrudes out of the Pitman arm slightly. I've seen worn out drag links, tie rods, etc, but I've yet to see a pitman arm come off a sector shaft easily! Good luck....
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
The pitman arm should be all the way on the sector shaft, but not rubbing the body of the gearbox where the sector shaft comes out. There should be a small gap...some cars have a felt dust shield here. The arm should be far enough on the sector shaft so that the shaft protrudes out of the Pitman arm slightly. I've seen worn out drag links, tie rods, etc, but I've yet to see a pitman arm come off a sector shaft easily! Good luck....
Jeff
:agree

I have about a 3/8" gap between the top of my pitman arm and the bottom of the gear box.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
As long as the nut is fully on, you'll be ok. If your sector shaft was coming out of the gearbox (which I've never seen happen) you'd have all kinds of problems tryiing to steer!
Jeff

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
That's right. As mentioned earlier, I've never seen one come loose. Just the opposite!!! They're a real sob to pull off of there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts