Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. Again, maybe a basic question, but would appreciate some more experienced opinions. I'm doing a frame off on a '66 - looking to build a really nice daily driver, not a trailer queen. My inner fender-wells were fairly rusted and pitted. Grinding made them pretty smooth, but there still is visible pitting. I was thinking painting with epoxy primer and going with light spot putty, but am guessing that some of you have better ideas or more experience. Was hoping to avoid buying repros, but am open to that too. What's the best way to bring back good looking inner fenderwells? Open to suggestions. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
If it isn’t rusted through, I would recommend POR 15 and their top coat. This stuff will fill the pits and stop the rust. It is almost as durable as powder coat, but can be sanded and repaired. It is designed to be applied over rust, but can be applied to bare metal as long as you follow their directions and use their prep products. It isn’t cheap but I liked the idea of sealing in and stopping any rust I may have missed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it isn’t rusted through, I would recommend POR 15 and their top coat. This stuff will fill the pits and stop the rust. It is almost as durable as powder coat, but can be sanded and repaired. It is designed to be applied over rust, but can be applied to bare metal as long as you follow their directions and use their prep products. It isn’t cheap but I liked the idea of sealing in and stopping any rust I may have missed.
Thanks, Colorado. The wells are very solid....all pitting is cosmetic. I didn't realize POR 15 is sandable. Good advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've not seen the repro's, but if they are close you would be way ahead just buying them. Filling pits can be a long, expensive process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts