Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fired up the Tempest today for the first time in a few months, been space limited with the weather keeping me from laying my concrete in the new Digs. Sound and feel of that motor got me salivating to get back on a few of the projects that got put on the backburner.

I have heard of and seen plastic Tri-power RA trays, does anyone know who or if there is still a supplier for these? I want the plastic because i will be converting it to use with the dual quads and will have to cut and mold carb side to fit my carb spacing and height.

GTO hood is going to painters tomorrow to get the new latch part of the support cut out and new piece from a member welded in. Will be soda blasted smoothed out and painted car color inside and out with Powder coated functional RA Insert thanks to jetstang (silver or black???...value your opinions)

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Even it you get a repro steel pan you can just cut the middle out and replace with the proper one to fit your dual quads. :cheers

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are you referring to Fiberglass? If yes, I believe that both Ames and Parts Place sold these at one time. Fiberglass tray would work the best for later modification.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I have a fiberglass tray that I bought in 1980 for $40. The openings for the carbs are formed,(belled) and to modify it for 2 fours would require so much cutting, there would be no point. You'd have a bottomless tray. You'd be much better off to use a sheet of 1/8" aluminum and cut it to fit. The foam just glues around the outside perimeter (mine is disintegrating).

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys. Thinking my best route may be start from scratch with the metal trays at 130 bucks. Good idea on the aluminum GeeTee, was leaning towards something that looks stock though. I know my cars a mish mash of parts but i've tried to keep it all pontiac in spirit. Anyone got a crappy old tri-power pan they wanna off?....LOL, and i'm a cheapskate at heart.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
You can use Birchwood Casey Aluma-Black on the aluminum if you don't want to paint it. It gives a nice black finish that's permanent and won't burn or chip off. It's available at gun stores. You wont see much of it anyway, with the carbs and foam taking up most of the view.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts