Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tonight coming home from wal-mart, was at a light waiting to continue straight, then i see a yellow C6 targa, looked like a hertz rental cuz i thought i saw a black stripe on it hahah, anyways the vette passes through the intersection, i saw it and said "ooooooooooooh!!" (literally). i jumped in the turnin lane to "give chase" hahah, i caught up casually, passed him slowly and slowed down next to him, he was some young kid like me with a girl in the car, i had a buddy with me. i started to pull away slowly to test him, and as my rear bumper was passin his head lights, he kicksdown a gear and catches up(auto, from the sound of it) so we're about lined up driving at 50ish and i knew, heads up id lose. he looked at me and smiled haha, as soon as he turned to look at the road, i hit it(im an auto so it kickeddown to 2nd) i grab about a car length on him, but right then he hammers it and starts to walk me back in. by the time he let off at about 100, he had a fender on me, i kept goin for like 100ft more then let off. he turned at the next light and i kept goin straight. me and my buddy laugh and he says, "how do u do that?"
i say, "what" he says "find random people to run like that?" then i just laughed and continue heading home hahah(guess its luck or that theyre just car guys like me/us on here)

thats my story hahah im sure the vette was an 08' or 09', looked brand new!! definately had an LS3 under the hood, that thing hauls but i feel i did alright considerin hes a featherweight compared to the good ol' GOAT hahaha

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same thing happened to me but we went from a stop and he was stick... I got the jump, he caught up at around 80 and just steadily pulled. I always loved Vettes and knew I'd lose, just wanted to see what it would do. He was a young guy with some chick in the car too. :cool

·
Registered
114 Posts
AWESOME! Shows the GTO can hold their own (to a point). Driving the other day (in the GTO) with my wife (who thinks it has way to much HP) and I tell her I think my next car will be a vette, and her mouth drops open and she gives me the stupid look. Hmmmmmmm guess I will have to slowly work on that one. Started on the GTO since they came out in 04 and finally was "allowed" to buy one in 09, so I think I might be in a vette in 5 years (maybe 7 give it some more soaking time). LOL.

I wish I was back in the states, I had all kinds of people wanting to run on me. Get to Germany and the side streets are so crappy you can only run on the autobahn. Even now that is so congested with slower speed limits.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
AWESOME! Shows the GTO can hold their own (to a point). Driving the other day (in the GTO) with my wife (who thinks it has way to much HP) and I tell her I think my next car will be a vette, and her mouth drops open and she gives me the stupid look. Hmmmmmmm guess I will have to slowly work on that one. Started on the GTO since they came out in 04 and finally was "allowed" to buy one in 09, so I think I might be in a vette in 5 years (maybe 7 give it some more soaking time). LOL.

I wish I was back in the states, I had all kinds of people wanting to run on me. Get to Germany and the side streets are so crappy you can only run on the autobahn. Even now that is so congested with slower speed limits.
Any car can hold its' own if it's properly driven versus a higher powered faster car.

Case in point.

I had a 2003 Cavalier with the 2.2 Ecotech and a 5 speed. I raced a friends 2002 Mustang GT 5speed. It was real funny too.

We were on a road that was 3 lanes each way. He pulled beside me at a light and there were a couple of kids in a Suburban in the far left lane. My friend Mark reved his motor and the kids in the Suburban all cheered him on.

Knowing he wanted to race I got into the mode. When the light turned green I cut a perfect light versus his less than perfect light by about a half a second.

I launched perfect and he spun pretty bad. By the top of first I had 2 car lengths plus on him.

I banged a perfect 1-2 shift and a perfect 2-3 shift his were not quite perfect and I held him off till the middle of 3rd at about 70-75 mph at which point I let off before he cleared me for the kill.

He looked stupid and I looked like a hero.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a 03 cavi 5 speed too and if it is launched just right from 0-40mph you can put a hurtin on a lot of cars.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
2.2 Ecotech and a 5 speed
This combo is nothing to laugh at, especially with tires that bite. I can rip a faster 1-2 shift with the Getrag than I can with the T-56, but a lot of that probably has to do with the shifter. I've chirped 2nd more times in my Grand Am than I have in the GTO. It's hard to do stiff launches though, as if the clutch slips a tad on heavy engagement.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
This combo is nothing to laugh at, especially with tires that bite. I can rip a faster 1-2 shift with the Getrag than I can with the T-56, but a lot of that probably has to do with the shifter. I've chirped 2nd more times in my Grand Am than I have in the GTO. It's hard to do stiff launches though, as if the clutch slips a tad on heavy engagement.
My clutch seemed to do the same thing. I would always do an almost clutch drop launch to compensate. The Ecotech has enough torque that it doesn't bog if you hit the rpms right.

I'd launch at about 2100 rpms with the super quick takeup on the clutch and I'd move to about 3/4 on the gas pedal and use the tires slippage, just light chirping on the verge of losing traction, and the light clutch slippage, to modulate my RPM's, trying to keep it above 3000 and below 3600-3800 till it completely hooks up. Wasn't easy, but with a couple practices starts I could do it regularly and kill a lot of cars I shouldn't through first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts