Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will proper adjustments/alignment correct this problem of "strut rub" with the 17 inch tire, or is this fit just too tight for the tire?

For summer driving, I have the 18" stock wheels/tires, but I'll be shopping for a new set of winter wheels & tires. We're advised to drop down to a narrow tire for winter traction, but I'm concerned about the 17's. Besides, I'm not sure sure that would help in winter driving because there's more rubber on the surface with the 17's...correct??

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
radioboy said:
Will proper adjustments/alignment correct this problem of "strut rub" with the 17 inch tire, or is this fit just too tight for the tire?

For summer driving, I have the 18" stock wheels/tires, but I'll be shopping for a new set of winter wheels & tires. We're advised to drop down to a narrow tire for winter traction, but I'm concerned about the 17's. Besides, I'm not sure sure that would help in winter driving because there's more rubber on the surface with the 17's...correct??

I have 17" tires. I have no evidence of strut rub. Not all GTO's have this problem.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
radioboy said:

The 18's are a lower profile tire; thought that would equate to more rubber on the road.

I think the point with the 18's was that the rubber is elevated in relation to the point that the 17's rubbed the strut, and therefore no interference issues.

I also thought this was more of an '04 issue vs. '05 or '06, but that may be incorrect.

I've got 3K + on my '05 and no sign of rubbing- - -

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have Bridgestone Blizacs on my stock 17" rims for winter use. They are the stock 245/45 width tires. I have had absolutely no strut rub problems at all.
I am running Kumho ECSTA SPT 245/45s on ASA ST4 rims and again am having no strut rub problems. There isn't much clearence but so far so good. I have 26,500 miles and never had an alignment as everything is wearing normally.
The Blizacs are wonderfull by the way. I also had them on an SVT Focus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.