Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a purple 04 this weekend.

I have test driven the stick and thought it was easily the highest effort clutch I have ever experienced,including my 03 Vette. I swear it was like doing a leg press on a Nautilus machine, and really took the enjoyment out of driving the car.

I live in an urban area and anticipate and LOT of shifting.

On the other hand, I have never owned or wanted an automatic and don't want to start now!!

I wouldn't mind an auto, necessarily, but I read one review that said the "gate" prevents auto shifting???

Does the clutch break in over time? How do you find the effort of the pedal?

Thanks for your answer as soon as possible as I am buying one in two days!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my first Auto in years and love it. Some people say you need to have the 6-sp to have fun but with the amount of torque, I have fun with the Auto without any worries in traffic.

Also The Incentives change on the 10th (to better ones) So make sure you get those

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was worried about the same thing with a 6 spd. Let me tell you, the clutch is not that bad anymore (not just cause my leg is stronger :) ). Now sometimes I worry that my clutch is getting too soft. If you want a stiff clutch, try driving a 98-2001 Mustang Cobra. THATS STIFF

·
Registered
265 Posts
I could make mention of manual being for knuckle dragging, sloped foreheaded cro-mag's... but that would be rude. :rolleyes:

I look at this this way - the auto is only a tenth slower, and to ME, you actually get to sit and enjoy the ride instead of being a slave to it. But hey, I'm an old fart. To me there is no joy in driving a stick in stop-and-crawl traffic.

---Larry

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi! I have had my GTO for almost 3 mos. Many times when people look at the car, I get a load of complements, then followed by "Why did u go w auto?" In my case the dealership i dealt with had two left. Mine auto black and purple 6 speed. They would have searched for a 6 speed black but i didnt bother. I have goten busted so many times over gettin an auto, and have heard u pu$$y u got the girls version, and that I basically got a vette w an auto trans. The truth of the matter is ur not gona see a huge speed diff and u will get a smoother ride w an auto. When peeps give me crap about the auto....i think and sometimes say this: "Line up next to me and see how pu$$y this car is!!!!!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've driven both. At my age (51), and my locale (Pittsburgh), there's NO way I thought I wanted the 6-speed. Plenty of hills here, and it's a pain getting stuck behind somebody at a red light with a stick. However, because the "fun factor" was soooo much better with the 6-speed, that's the one I got. I didn't think the clutch was particularly hard, either (it's hydraulic, isn't it?).

·
Registered
590 Posts
me, i'm just bored with auto. might as well just get an escalade and tool around town.

yeah, if i have appointments in and around houston, i'm tired of driving when i get home, period. manual or auto

opted for an auto '94Z28 back in '93 when manual M-6's weren't being built yet and regretted it, even after having trans. built up by race shop and adding computer tuner, e.g. shift firmness, redline increase, etc...

you'll see here excellent reasons for both, but it's about YOU

oh, clutch feels just like my '02 SS Camaro. same-same

·
Registered
46 Posts
Choosing the "correct" answer to your question is like answering a "true/false" problem on a quiz--If you're not certain, go with your first impression, and don't change your answer. You probably know what you want; don't let yourself be overly influenced by others, including me.

With that caveat, I will say that during the last 12 months, I've spent a lot more hours than I'd care to admit on another '04 GTO site. I've read more posts (not a lot, mind you) from those who went with the A4 and wished they'd got the M6 than the other way around.

My M6 is the first manual I've owned in 30+ years. Most of my driving is an urban mixture of freeways and "surface" streets. When I'm in stop-and-start situations, I tend to have second thoughts. Nonetheless, after 4,000 miles, I still enjoy the closer connection to the driving experience--kinda the "man and machine" macho thing.

I'll probably become more accustomed to the manual, but I'll have to admit that when I have a quick trip to make (e.g., a 2-mile run to Home Depot for a can of paint), I'll grab my wife's car, an automatic; it's less "complicated." I'd be interested in other manual owners' thoughts in that regard.

Good luck, Ballardbeau1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go stick. Don't look back. The clutch rules.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bad Mojo said:
Go stick. Don't look back. The clutch rules.
Am I correct, not one but two goats? This will really bring back theories to the old "buy one get one free" posts of a while back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I figured you had a ton of good advice here and probably didnt need my two cents....so I'll try to keep it to one! :) I am a true believer of automatics and that sticks are just for as one said, "the macho/fun" side of it. We buy these cars because they are fast and an auto will always out run the stick....in the last few decades anyways. In the end though, I ended up with a 6 speed. The wife always wanted one and the one that the dealership had that I liked was the 6. Ive not regretted it at all. The clutch on mine has never been very stiff and Im no body builder. The other part that Ive heard no one mention. Its so low geared/close ratio that its easy taking off and you have plenty of ease in driving because you always have torque on hand. Lastly, for the gearing part again, if you feel like cruisin, run the gears, you wont be able to stop smiling. However, if you want to drive mindlessly, like to Home Depot for paint, try the 2/4/6 or 1/3/5 gear changing. Plenty of power either way, no harm to the car and only half the effort. Make sure you choose what you think will make you happy though, they are long financing terms :) Sorry, I know that was 3 cents, but hopefully helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's nothing like seeing an auto and a manual transmission version of the same car on the dyno to hammer home the auto vs. stick argument. Granted, there is more to speed than just wheel horsepower, there is gearing, curb weight, aeordynamics, torque curve, driver skill, etc., but all else being equal, why lose horsepower at the wheels if you don't have to? And I know the car is torquey enough to enjoy in an automatic tranny, but these cars are about refined power and if there was ever "enough" power, they wouldn't make superchargers or NOS for big block Chevys. The GTO only lasted one year at 350 and it;s already up to 400 with rumors of even more power gains in the near future. Let's face it, the GTO is about rubber blazing power and you keep more if it with the Tremec.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Auto or stick--made my decision!!

First, thanks for all of your guys' input.

I went to the dealer again tonight and re-drove the stick. For some reason, it did not feel nearly as stiff and difficult as I remember my first drive being. It reminded me very much of my 02 Vette, which was firm and fairly high effort, but not overly so.

So I got the stick!!! I have never owned an auto, and didn't see any reason to start now, particularly with this car!!

I ordered yellow. I am going to tint the windows and put on aftermarket chrome wheels, the same as I always do with a new car.

It will be here on Friday, and I cannot wait!

I am also delighted to find this forum and look forward to being a participant, and a very satisfied member of our GTO community!!

PS--do not feel I got the best deal in the world--purchase price was 27,800, but hell--this car feels like a 50K Vette so I really don't care if it cost 1K more than I was hoping to get it for. Particularly considering the price gouging that will go on with the 05s.

I have read about the 05s and just can't see paying thousands more for 50 more horses, hood scoops and a different tailpipe configuration.

I AM SO HAPPY WITH MY PURCHASE!! The first time I drove it I was nervous and obviously inexperienced, but tonight the clutch action felt like a rifle bolt and I really opened that sucker up! It felt tight as a drum and took off like a rocket!

I hope for many happy years with this amazing car, and an amazing value to boot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You know, I was dead set on the manual, but I just picked up a Pulse Red M6 for an overnight test drive, and I'm liking the 6-speed less and less. This may sound trivial, but there's no dead pedal for me to rest my left foot on when I'm not shifting. I either have to rest it on the pedal (bad, bad habit) or move my leg up so my foot rests on the floor.

To me, that's a real PITA. Maybe I should just go with the auto....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.