Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im new to this forum and i need some help. I work at a shop in Costa Mesa CA called SoCal Collectibles. We are in the process of a full underhood restoration on a 1970 GTO Judge with the 400 c.i.d., Ram Air and a 4 speed. The car is almost complete except for on part. There is vacuum solenoid or somthing that resembles one that I cannot figure out where it was mounted or where the vacuum lines would be routed. There is an electrical connection that fits this component that comes off of the harness from the drivers side right near the coil. Other than that I dont know musch else about it. If there is anyone that maybe has a picture of this or could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thanks -Ray

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sounds like the TCS (transmission controlled spark) solenoid. It mounts on a bracket near the coil. It prevents vacuum from being applied to the distributor vacuum advance until the car is in 3rd or 4th gear. Vacuum hose runs from the thermostatic vacuum switch on the front of the manifold to the TCS, and then to the distributor. Electrical wires go from the tranny, through the solenoid, and to the ignition switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts