Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my wife buys me a very nice Xm system for Christmas (AUDIOVOX), and I have it installed. It sounds like S*&t, and is always fuzzy, and frequently cuts out all together. I'm sooooo dissapointed, because I was excited about getting it.

I take it back last Friday, and they said that it is normal because I have an FM Modulator and I get my XM through an FM station. They said if I want to get rid of the modulator and get the XM to sound CD quality, then I have to replace my entire head unit.

Is there another option? What setup have you all been installing?

Thanks, Taylor

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just got Sirius sat. radio for my car. I got a tuner and an antenna. The tuner plugged right into the back of the factory Kenwood Head Unit. Perfect sound, clear.

That FM mod. is a POS in my opinion. I never liked them. It adds unwanted distortion and noise. Also audiovox is not exactly on the top rung of quality. I'm not bashing, just MO. I'm not saying Kenwood is some incredible stereo also....just what came in my car new.

If you really want sat radio and clear kick ass sound, replace the HU and upgrade your system...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Vader953 said:
They said if I want to get rid of the modulator and get the XM to sound CD quality, then I have to replace my entire head unit.

Vader953 said:
Is there another option? What setup have you all been installing?

Thanks, Taylor
I had an XM Commander installed, which connects via an FM modulator. The firsat guys who installed it were complete hacks, I hope they all die horribly. I took it to a more reputable shop, who finally did an excellent job. It now sounds GREAT. The install is trick as well, as it looks almost OEM. I can't say enough about XM...it is incredible!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just do some quick searches around the Internet and you will see most people say the FM deal is a good economical way to get sound. But it just will never be as clear as a direct connection to the HU. They work, just not the BEST and CLEAREST way to go. Also the higher priced FM converters in general have lower noise and distortion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
XM Delphi Roady 2 in my GTO...

The Roady 2 uses the modulator as well. It did not cut out on me but I agree the sound quality may not be as good as a good XM radio head unit. I have a factory XM radio in my six speed Accord coupe and it sounds much better than the one in the GTO but I must say the whold Honda sound system sounds better than the one that comes in the GTO.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
One issue may be the type of FM Modulator...one of those "go anywhere" or "all-in-one" units may be transmitting an FM signal through the air...my XM Commander (not a portable unit) is hard-wired into the antenna cable of the GTO's factory radio. My signal is nearly flawless and I didn't have to go through the brutal expense of replacing the factory HU.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd bet on the problem being with the FM Modulator. Either it's faulty, or not correctly tuned, or it's just no good, but think about it - if the GTO radio picks up FM ok, then it should pick up the retransmitted XM signal ok. It just won't sound any better than regular FM stations, (except for eliminating the ham-fisted engineers at the radio station re-eq'ing the songs!).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Typically in the options menu of the unit you can choose your FM frequency you want it to broadcast on. I think you have 7 or 8 different choices. Write them down on a piece of paper and turn the XM thing off. Try each frequencey on your radio and pick the one that has the MOST STATIC. (in other words pick one that doesn't already have a radio station in your area broadcasting on that frequency.) That will clear things up a good bit. IF you find that all the stations are being used in your area by radio stations already (which was the case for me) you can always go to the extreame and disconnect the antenna plug from your factory radio or unscrew the radio antana off the car to prevent the broadcast stations from "fighting with" your FM modulator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts