Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove over the mountains to the coast today for the first time with my GTO. Gotta say, "Man, I love this car." I have never driven anything like it. I came no where near pushing the limits, but flew through the corners and up and down the mountains like I was in a rollercoaster. It sure is cool not to have to dawdle behind slow people who don't know how to drive. :D I passed them all like they were sittin' still. I hate it when people are doing 40mph on the highway.
I was following a guy on the way over who obviously knew the highway and his truck very well, because he was makin' some serious time. He was in a late model f350, and it looked like it was probably a diesel. It obviously had some substantial hp and torque. He handled it like someone who could drive would handle a good car.
Another thing, a deer jumped across the highway in front of me, and then went back across to the side he was on in the first place. I am glad my brakes work well. I was able to slow down to a crawl almost immediately when I saw the deer. I'm just glad that no one was too close behind me. :eek:
So what I took away from this excursion was:
1. My car is a way better machine than I ever imagined.
2. There is no safe place on the highway to fully push my car to it's limits. So, now I guess I'll have to look into racing, and getting on a track to fully enjoy my car. 'Til then I'll have to keep enjoying it as my daily driver. Life is good. :)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
:agree

I'm with you...the GTO is probably the most underrated "Grand Touring" car ever built. The ability to power past and maneuver through slow traffic is what helps keep me (relatively) sane during my 220 mile commute over the mountains every day...

Need better brakes, though. In the process of fixing that. :cool

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maximental said:
I drove over the mountains to the coast today for the first time with my GTO. Gotta say, "Man, I love this car." I have never driven anything like it. I came no where near pushing the limits, but flew through the corners and up and down the mountains like I was in a rollercoaster. It sure is cool not to have to dawdle behind slow people who don't know how to drive. :D I passed them all like they were sittin' still. I hate it when people are doing 40mph on the highway.
I was following a guy on the way over who obviously knew the highway and his truck very well, because he was makin' some serious time. He was in a late model f350, and it looked like it was probably a diesel. It obviously had some substantial hp and torque. He handled it like someone who could drive would handle a good car.
Another thing, a deer jumped across the highway in front of me, and then went back across to the side he was on in the first place. I am glad my brakes work well. I was able to slow down to a crawl almost immediately when I saw the deer. I'm just glad that no one was too close behind me. :eek:
So what I took away from this excursion was:
1. My car is a way better machine than I ever imagined.
2. There is no safe place on the highway to fully push my car to it's limits. So, now I guess I'll have to look into racing, and getting on a track to fully enjoy my car. 'Til then I'll have to keep enjoying it as my daily driver. Life is good. :)
think the cruise would have been as enjoyable with an a4?... just curios, in the market and trying to make decision

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but I love the agressive feel of downshifting manually and blasting past people! Also, the ability to select a gear to control speed/torque etc. is awesome.

beep! beep! vroom whoosh zoom seeya! about as fast as you can read this.:D

Maximental

·
Registered
35 Posts
thats what i wanted to here... pardon my ignorance, ive only had buick turbo regals for performance cars and they only came automatic so i have nothing to compare it to... dont want to buy an 05 automatic, drive it off the lot, take the depreciation hit and wish i got the m6

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have an M6, and part of my drive takes me through some of the nastiest stop-n-go traffic in the country. It's no problem....and I vastly prefer to pick my own gears...Hey, it's a performance car!

I had a saying with my BMW, which applies here.

Having a GTO with an automatic transmission is like a sexless marriage. Sure, it's comfortable...but it ain't no fun! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.