Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help was this 400 cast this way or was it damaged ????? any info will help looks like some type of hack job repair :confused

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
It's hard to tell from just a photo. Looks like at some point in its past though someone cared enough about it to install studs for the lifter cover instead of using the factory bolts - that's something. If it were me, I'd go ahead and strip the block then take it to a good machine shop to have it cleaned and then magnafluxed to check for any cracks, and get their opinion on it. If you've got a die grinder, go ahead and spend some time knocking off all the sharp edges and removing rough casting flash (like around the outsides of the lifter bosses).

Now would be a good time to pick up a copy of Jim Hand's and/or Rocky Rotella's books about building Pontiacs, if you don't already have them.

How to Build Max-Performance Pontiac V-8s by Jim Hand | 9781884089671 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

How to Build Max Performance Pontiac V-8s by Rocky Rotella | 9781934709948 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Bear

·
Registered
554 Posts
hinged block

That's so strange. Seems I've seen that exact "patch" on another block many years ago. Looked like an old door hinge. I swear I've seen it!...:confused

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's so strange. Seems I've seen that exact "patch" on another block many years ago. Looked like an old door hinge. I swear I've seen it!...:confused
its very strange i was hoping it was a cast like that from GM i dont have the $$$ to send it out i cleaned aera and it looks like part of block it doess not look good ..... maybe it is a one off ram air 6 block :rolleyes: I need one of the great pontiac masters to tell what it is :confused

1 - 6 of 6 Posts