Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. I have purchased a SPC 7 cam from Melling. It is supposed to be a 9779068 Pontiac grind. However my engine builder does not believe it is ground correctly because the lobes are so flat. Does anyone have a 9068, or knows if these lobes are correct? He is worried the lifter will not ride correctly on this lobe. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Hi.. I have purchased a SPC 7 cam from Melling. It is supposed to be a 9779068 Pontiac grind. However my engine builder does not believe it is ground correctly because the lobes are so flat. Does anyone have a 9068, or knows if these lobes are correct? He is worried the lifter will not ride correctly on this lobe. Thanks!
He must not be much of an engine builder and you should stop right now and pull your engine and bring it to someone else. If he is unable to check the cam specs with a dial indicator and degree wheel..........run!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
He must not be much of an engine builder and you should stop right now and pull your engine and bring it to someone else. If he is unable to check the cam specs with a dial indicator and degree wheel..........run!
And, you will like the 068 better than the 744 as it will drop the RPM power range down better with your combo and pick up some useable lower RPM power & torque. Again, shame on your engine builder to assume by looking at the lobes instead of measuring. It is possible, the lobe is indeed a little flat keeping the lifter at maximum lift longer, like a roller cam would. You might want to bring in a photo of a roller cam profile and ask him what he thought of that cam lobe.

Each manufacturer/grinder has their own way of doing things. Now it could be ground wrong, but again, looking at it won't tell you, he'll have to confirm it with a dial indicator and cam degree wheel and match up all the specs with the supplied cam card. This will also let you know that the cam is installed per the cam card should an offset key way be needed for some reason. (y)

Once you do the swap to the 068, please come back and give us you personal opinion & comparison of the two cams. Should be interesting since it'll be hands on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts