Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have oil blowing out my dipstick. It doesnt have the rubber piece on it to snug it on. Can i just use a parts store chevy dipstick or do i need a pontiac specific dipstick

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Is it blowing the dipstick out of the tube? You may have another problem too much pressure in the crankcase. Could be bad rings or you may need better ventilation for the crank case.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked my pvc valve and it seems to be working. When i blow in it i can hear the check valve ball and i can blow air out. My dip stick doesnt have the rubber in it so it just kinda sits on top of the tube. I just bougt a chevy one so it will seal the dip stick tube and when i need to check my oil ill use the pontiac stick

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i have too much crankcase pressure would haveing breathers in the valve covers help. I currently have the finned edelbroock ones with no holes.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
How long has this been going on? Like Alky said, bad rings or possibly a head gasket can put too much pressure in your crankcase. Matt

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
If i have too much crankcase pressure would haveing breathers in the valve covers help. I currently have the finned edelbroock ones with no holes.
The crankcase builds pressure within as the pistons move up and down th cylinders. The faster the engine goes, the more pressure builds up.

You need valve covers with breathers or you may blow out some gaskets as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts