Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have trouble with the Ames hood tachs and HEI distributors? I bought a New one from Ames this spring and have trouble with it sticking at 4k rpms. I called Ames and they said to check the ground. I ran a heavy gauge test wire to a solid ground but didn't help. They said the HEI may cause the problem as they're made for the stock distributors. They said send it in to be checked out, which I will do this fall, I told them I didn't want to drive around all summer with a hole in my hood. I have a DUI distributor. I know MSD has a tach adapter that some cars use. Anyone had this problem or any luck with the adapter?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I had an adapter, after looking at it i sent it back, put a relay into a fuse and havent had a problem. My buddy runs the adapter on his 70 gto and no issues. Only thing about my set up is i as rpm increases i get a little off. At idle i am perfect at 2k i am about 50rpm off, at 3k i am 100rpm off and at 5k i am 200 off. Not sure if its because the relay or if its the tach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts