Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
6,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all of the DFW area I only personally know of 3 machine shops that have a Pontiac torque plate for doing any work on blocks that require one.

I've had work done at two of them myself, and at present there is only one of those that I would feel comfortable about recommending.
They are, in my order of preference:

Long Racing Engines in Irving, Texas
  • The current proprietor is Ben Long.
  • He does have a presence on Facebook, but the information is stale.
  • They no longer maintain a store front / retail operation. In fact if you attempt to go see them in person at their published address, you'll find that the business at that address is now a liquor store. No I'm not kidding.
  • However, Ben does still do work for people who know about him, mostly existing customers, friends, and racers but he's not in his shop (which is still in the same building as the liquor store) every day, or all day.
  • My personal experience with him has been quite good, and I'm of the opinion that he does quality work. I credit him for 'saving' my original block recently after a bone-headed mistake I made.
  • Reach out to me if you want his contact information, I don't know of any other way to contact him. I've not asked him if it's ok for me to share his number in public.

The next shop that I know of that has a Pontiac torque plate, is Wayne Calvert Precision Engines in Denton, Texas
  • They have a long standing and good reputation with the Pontiac community in the DFW area, however I have no personal experience with them.
The only other shop I know about with a Pontiac torque plate is Kim Barr Racing Engines over in Garland.
  • This shop did my machine work back in 2009 and also has the dyno where I broke in my engine back then. I was quite happy with those results
  • However, the work they did for me back in 2017-2018 was not very good, and is in fact the reason that I'm right now finishing up yet another rebuild of my engine so I cannot in good faith recommend this shop.
  • I've heard from multiple sources that their work can be 'hit or miss' - sometimes good, sometimes not so much.
  • Kim does have decades of experience and a good reputation as an engine builder however, so perhaps my 2017-2018 experience was an exception, however I won't go back there if I have a choice.

Cheers,
Bear

·
Administrator
6,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wayne Calvert has always done a great job for me. Tons of experience and nice fellow to talk to.
That seems to be the majority opinion, for sure. However, then one time I tried to take my engine to them they weren't friendly at all. In fact they seemed annoyed, like I was bothering them or something just by being there. They told me to "check back in 6 months or so" and MAYBE they'd be able to work me in. In my mind, it made me question what kind of work they'd do for me if that was how they treated me when I was trying to give them some business as a new customer.

I've talked with others in the area who have had work done by them and they're all happy, so maybe my experience was a one-off, but still it left me with a negative impression.

Bear

·
Premium Member
1964 Pontiac GTO
47 Posts
In all of the DFW area I only personally know of 3 machine shops that have a Pontiac torque plate for doing any work on blocks that require one.

I've had work done at two of them myself, and at present there is only one of those that I would feel comfortable about recommending.
They are, in my order of preference:

Long Racing Engines in Irving, Texas
  • The current proprietor is Ben Long.
  • He does have a presence on Facebook, but the information is stale.
  • They no longer maintain a store front / retail operation. In fact if you attempt to go see them in person at their published address, you'll find that the business at that address is now a liquor store. No I'm not kidding.
  • However, Ben does still do work for people who know about him, mostly existing customers, friends, and racers but he's not in his shop (which is still in the same building as the liquor store) every day, or all day.
  • My personal experience with him has been quite good, and I'm of the opinion that he does quality work. I credit him for 'saving' my original block recently after a bone-headed mistake I made.
  • Reach out to me if you want his contact information, I don't know of any other way to contact him. I've not asked him if it's ok for me to share his number in public.

The next shop that I know of that has a Pontiac torque plate, is Wayne Calvert Precision Engines in Denton, Texas
  • They have a long standing and good reputation with the Pontiac community in the DFW area, however I have no personal experience with them.
The only other shop I know about with a Pontiac torque plate is Kim Barr Racing Engines over in Garland.
  • This shop did my machine work back in 2009 and also has the dyno where I broke in my engine back then. I was quite happy with those results
  • However, the work they did for me back in 2017-2018 was not very good, and is in fact the reason that I'm right now finishing up yet another rebuild of my engine so I cannot in good faith recommend this shop.
  • I've heard from multiple sources that their work can be 'hit or miss' - sometimes good, sometimes not so much.
  • Kim does have decades of experience and a good reputation as an engine builder however, so perhaps my 2017-2018 experience was an exception, however I won't go back there if I have a choice.

Cheers,
Bear
We found a small two person machine shop in Roanoke (Leuer Engine and Machine) that is in the process of building my 461 Stoker engine. He has a great resume and worked at Wayne Calvert's for years. Tom decided to go out on his own and all the reviews we found on him were great with everyone happy with his work. He now owns a Pontiac torque plate and has build several Pontiac engines. He sends some work out that he is not setup to perform. He uses Sunset Performance is Sherman for any line boring he needs done and has a different shop for turning cranks if they need it and says that both shops return parts exact on his specifications. He seems to stay pretty booked up which is a good sign. I will keep you up to date on how things turn out but at this point we feel very comfortable with Tom. Here is a link to his website. Leuer Engine And Machine – Call Today 940-227-3030

·
Administrator
6,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We found a small two person machine shop in Roanoke (Leuer Engine and Machine) that is in the process of building my 461 Stoker engine. He has a great resume and worked at Wayne Calvert's for years. Tom decided to go out on his own and all the reviews we found on him were great with everyone happy with his work. He now owns a Pontiac torque plate and has build several Pontiac engines. He sends some work out that he is not setup to perform. He uses Sunset Performance is Sherman for any line boring he needs done and has a different shop for turning cranks if they need it and says that both shops return parts exact on his specifications. He seems to stay pretty booked up which is a good sign. I will keep you up to date on how things turn out but at this point we feel very comfortable with Tom. Here is a link to his website. Leuer Engine And Machine – Call Today 940-227-3030
Great! Thanks!! I'd heard "rumors" that there's a 4th shop in the area with a plate, but didn't know for sure.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Great! Thanks!! I'd heard "rumors" that there's a 4th shop in the area with a plate, but didn't know for sure.
This is great! Very helpful for us in the area, or even not so near the area. I don't live in DFW but would not mind a few hours drive to have "local" machine work. I came very close to buying my own Pontiac torque plate a couple of years ago because nobody in central Texas has one. I ultimately shipped the block to Butler and I'm happy with the work they did, but I always prefer to keep things more local if possible.

·
Administrator
6,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is great! Very helpful for us in the area, or even not so near the area. I don't live in DFW but would not mind a few hours drive to have "local" machine work. I came very close to buying my own Pontiac torque plate a couple of years ago because nobody in central Texas has one. I ultimately shipped the block to Butler and I'm happy with the work they did, but I always prefer to keep things more local if possible.
I -did- buy one just because I wanted to be able to have more options for machine work. They're very expensive, and I had to wait for the manufacturer to make it because there's no demand for Pontiac plates these days.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I -did- buy one just because I wanted to be able to have more options for machine work. They're very expensive, and I had to wait for the manufacturer to make it because there's no demand for Pontiac plates these days.
Yes, they are expensive. I investigated and got very close to making the purchase. Do you still have yours? Who did you buy from? I still wonder if I might one day wish I had one in storage for when all the machine shops no longer have one. But then, would there be anyone left to know how to use it and work on a Pontiac? I have one friend locally who has some equipment and Pontiac experience but he has other jobs and none of us know how long we will be around.:)

·
Premium Member
1964 Pontiac GTO
47 Posts
I had just stopped by to drop off some more parts and he had just gotten it in and was showing it to me. I ordered all my parts from Butler so it is basically a Butler engine with just the machine work and assembly being done here local.

·
Administrator
6,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, they are expensive. I investigated and got very close to making the purchase. Do you still have yours? Who did you buy from? I still wonder if I might one day wish I had one in storage for when all the machine shops no longer have one. But then, would there be anyone left to know how to use it and work on a Pontiac? I have one friend locally who has some equipment and Pontiac experience but he has other jobs and none of us know how long we will be around.:)
I do have it and will keep it. I got it from BHJ Products. I used it while file fitting my rings on my current build.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I had just stopped by to drop off some more parts and he had just gotten it in and was showing it to me. I ordered all my parts from Butler so it is basically a Butler engine with just the machine work and assembly being done here local.
Probably saving you a good bit of money and time. Plus, you kept some of the business in Texas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.