Pontiac GTO Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda funny...I wonder if the Autosport Development racing team in the SPEED GT SCCA World Challenge shares how I feel (and many GTO owners as well) is ashamed at how the Holden Monaro was imported as a lowly Pontiac...

Hey...that's funny...no mention of P-P-Pontiac here...not so much as a Red Wedgie in sight...

In fact...hey! Look at the rear window!

Score one for those of us ashamed of the red Wedge. :D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you guys talking about?

1) Thank GOD they stripped the foul and disingenuous Pontiacisms from this fine car.

2) Holden is as much a division of GM as Pontiac. They may even sell more cars.

My thoughts? The Speed GT / SCCA pro series showcases some of the best sports cars on the market today....Porsche, BMW, Caddy CTS-V, etc. The Pontiac branding has been a huge mistake, initially appealing to the wrong demographic-- not the BMW sport types. Lets face it...Pontiac has a crap reputation with the type of driver that the GTO/Monaro should be appealing to. GM knows this (too late), and has chosen to not tout the P-P-Pontiac aspect...which is all fascia and badges anyway.

Good on ye, AD Motorsports! :cool

Personally, I think this is great!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm all for flying the Holden flag.

I just think it's a little insulting to cammo a GTO and fly the Holden banner all in one fell swoop.

Want to run as a Holden, then run a Holden.

Likewise with the Pontiac, run it as a GTO

I run a F5 in SCCA and truly LOVE the Pro Series and the SCCA (except you only get trophies and not CASH at our level of racing) :seeya:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But it is a Holden...

Nevermind.

Do you run your GTO in SCCA? I'd loooooove to do that...but if I got into it, I'd probably run a ratty-assed E36 M3 or something that I wouldn't mind getting scratched...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Don't run the Holden SCCA, but so the family gets a "taste", they let family cars get in a line, and get out on the Texas World Speedway and make a couple laps. They take turn 4, most of the straight, and partial turn 1, until they take you down into the road race portion, then back up into 4.

I held the goat way back (not supposed to :D ) where I had the whole banked straight and lit it up, got to 130 before coming up on the pack. Wife was screaming, kids grinning ear to ear. Got an earful from officials, but WTF :willy:

Just race the F5 (smallest open wheel Formula), but after, all stress gone :cool

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Groucho said:
What are you guys talking about?

1) Thank GOD they stripped the foul and disingenuous Pontiacisms from this fine car.

2) Holden is as much a division of GM as Pontiac. They may even sell more cars.

My thoughts? The Speed GT / SCCA pro series showcases some of the best sports cars on the market today....Porsche, BMW, Caddy CTS-V, etc. The Pontiac branding has been a huge mistake, initially appealing to the wrong demographic-- not the BMW sport types. Lets face it...Pontiac has a crap reputation with the type of driver that the GTO/Monaro should be appealing to. GM knows this (too late), and has chosen to not tout the P-P-Pontiac aspect...which is all fascia and badges anyway.

Good on ye, AD Motorsports! :cool

Personally, I think this is great!

The car is a Pontiac GTO. Get over it. The General is an American company, and Pontiac is an American Division of this company. If we follow your logic, the Car should be badged as an Opel. That's the platform it's based on.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Since they put the GTO badge on the grill, then the Pontiac symbol should also be there. Sorry, it's NOT Holden GTO! :willy: LOL

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fergyflyer said:
The car is a Pontiac GTO. Get over it. The General is an American company, and Pontiac is an American Division of this company. If we follow your logic, the Car should be badged as an Opel. That's the platform it's based on.
...you mean except for the label in the door that says MANUFACTURED BY HOLDEN, right?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
GTO's have a strong racing heritage. Pontiac has a strong racing heritage. The car is a GTO. If they would have called it a Holden I would have still bought it. I wouldn't have complained that it should have been called an OPEL. That's my point. You keep calling the GTO a Holden, well if you are going to do that you need to go to the roots of the car and call it an OPEL. Don't selectively stop half way because you think Holden sounds exclusive, or somehow superior to Pontiac.
Oh, and Remember your engine and transmission are pure old school V8 muscle car stuff. They are made in the USA, not Australia. The LS1 is a smallblock Chevy. Hey that gives me an idea. I think I'll call mine a Camaro, no wait, a Chevelle.
Get a life, you drive a PONTIAC. The world is not going to end.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh, fercrissakes, not another one of these inane arguments (think I'll join in :) )

First of all, whether you like it or not, Holden IS part of GM...just as is Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, etc. In a multi-national corporate world where there is so much sub-contracting of parts manufacturing & development, you're gonna have a heck of a time finding anything "made exclusively" by the actual employees of the Pontiac division. The corporate world just doesn't operate like that much anymore - too inefficient - been that way for years & years, especially in products as complicated as automobiles.

Did Holden engineer the V8 under the hood of the Monaro? Did they create the platform the car rides on? Does that make the Monaro an illegitimate Holden? I could go on & on about a whole myriad of products with similar evolutionary origins in every product catagory. Are they all "illegitimate" because all the parts weren't designed & engineered in the design & engineering studios of the company with its name on the product? If you answer yes then you're doomed to eternal disappointment.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Trace said:
Oh, fercrissakes, not another one of these inane arguments (think I'll join in :) )

First of all, whether you like it or not, Holden IS part of GM...just as is Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, etc. In a multi-national corporate world where there is so much sub-contracting of parts manufacturing & development, you're gonna have a heck of a time finding anything "made exclusively" by the actual employees of the Pontiac division. The corporate world just doesn't operate like that much anymore - too inefficient - been that way for years & years, especially in products as complicated as automobiles.

Did Holden engineer the V8 under the hood of the Monaro? Did they create the platform the car rides on? Does that make the Monaro an illegitimate Holden? I could go on & on about a whole myriad of products with similar evolutionary origins in every product catagory. Are they all "illegitimate" because all the parts weren't designed & engineered in the design & engineering studios of the company with its name on the product? If you answer yes then you're doomed to eternal disappointment.

I agree with you 100%. What I have a problem with is Groucho trashing Pontiac, and GTO. He is trying to say the car is not a Pontiac, and to a lesser extent a GTO. He doesn't like those names because they do not project the image he wants to project. What I'm trying to say is that if he wants to go back to Holden, because he is embarassed to drive a Pontiac he should go all the way back to the Opel, or the maybe the Chevy powerplant.
Lets just end this issue here and all agree that we drive a great Pontiac GTO. That's the badge. It may have been assembled by Holden, but it uses technology from all over the GM world.

·
Registered
237 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Diddo that . . . just consider the car as representing "what Pontiac should be". Problem is GM let all of its divisions in the U.S sink down to the lowest common denominator before realizing how deep the hole had gotten, and now it's paying the price. Enough of the "right kind of people" don't seem to believe it enough to even glance inside the dealership at the GTO, while the others don't and won't get it. We all know it's not the car's fault. Cadillac received the life line first, hope there's enough time for Pontiac (Solstice should help) . . .

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you didn't like the name then why did you buy it? A rose by any other name still smells sweet. A GTO by any other name is still faster then a Mustang. There is nothing else to say. :cool

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DaveGesp said:
If you didn't like the name then why did you buy it? A rose by any other name still smells sweet. A GTO by any other name is still faster then a Mustang. There is nothing else to say. :cool
I bought it because this car represents the best performance automobile bang for the buck available on the market today, bar none.

And the 'Stang comparison is a irrelevant. This car is faster than 95% of the cars on the road-- maybe more. It ain't no Pony car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
GTOJon said:
Yes, the skeleton is Holden, but the b*llz are PURE AMERICAN! :cheers :party:
Are the balls you are referring to the motor? Isnt that the same motor....that is made in canada? :willy:

I think the most american part of the car is the tires, and my narrower japanese bridgestone snow tires stopped better!!

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.