Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Looks like that was an '04 Pontiac. The guys doing the commentary during the race (can't remember who it was, since they changed their lineup during the race just like changing drivers in the pits) mentioned that was NOT a GM-backed team, that the GM-backed GTOs will not be racing until mid-season.

But it does make me wonder what kind of lap speed a 2005 GTO could run around the Daytona 2.5-mile high banks (with the speed limiter removed and good race rubber installed).

Is 400 hp enough to hit 200 MPH without drafting help?

Does the stock spoiler provide any "real" downforce at 150+ speeds or is it purely aesthetic?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I talked to one of the guys in the GTO pit, he said that last year the GTO could actually run faster than the Prototypes on the straights, but the rules "fixed" that this year...
If I recall, the Prototypes dont hit 190, so I doubt the GTO would... (In that respect, a 911 GT2 Porsche, with 477 HP has a top speed of 198 according to Porsche vs 400 hp for the GTO, and the porsche probably has a better drag/aero proporties)
As for a functional spoiler... You got me....

BTW, I got my GTO to 115 on the front straight at Daytona.....

·
Registered
307 Posts
04black6mt said:
As for a functional spoiler... You got me....

BTW, I got my GTO to 115 on the front straight at Daytona.....
Cool. How did the car feel at that speed, and did you do a full lap around the banking?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts