Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving down the road the other day in my 06 goat and kept noticing that my tires would spin uncontrolably, it would fishtail a decent amount. i went in for my 5000 mile rotation at the 5000 mile mark and was told i needed new tires because i didn't have much tread left. i have also been seeing plumes of smoke in my rearview mirror as i leave redlights experiencing a squeal and poor acceleration with a fishtailing action. my gasmileage has been similar to my tires. i end up getting gas twice a day or so and my mpg has been reading gal/h. it's a surprise i even bought the car considering all this. why couldn't i have just gotten a v6 mustang or an all wheel drive car with better acceleration and less plumes of gray smoke at red lights and even less fishtailing? why didn't they offer this body style with a 4 banger? not to mention the other day i was on the way to work with my coffee in my lap and oops, hot coffee in the face due to this smoking redlight session. does anyone think i can perhaps increase my acceleration or gas mileage by tossing in a 4 banger or v6? maybe even a way to make an ls0.5? at least give me some idea why my acceleration is so poor and gas mileage...
:rofl: :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
i was driving down the road the other day in my 06 goat and kept noticing that my tires would spin uncontrolably, it would fishtail a decent amount. i went in for my 5000 mile rotation at the 5000 mile mark and was told i needed new tires because i didn't have much tread left. i have also been seeing plumes of smoke in my rearview mirror as i leave redlights experiencing a squeal and poor acceleration with a fishtailing action. my gasmileage has been similar to my tires. i end up getting gas twice a day or so and my mpg has been reading gal/h. it's a surprise i even bought the car considering all this. why couldn't i have just gotten a v6 mustang or an all wheel drive car with better acceleration and less plumes of gray smoke at red lights and even less fishtailing? why didn't they offer this body style with a 4 banger? not to mention the other day i was on the way to work with my coffee in my lap and oops, hot coffee in the face due to this smoking redlight session. does anyone think i can perhaps increase my acceleration or gas mileage by tossing in a 4 banger or v6? maybe even a way to make an ls0.5? at least give me some idea why my acceleration is so poor and gas mileage...
:rofl: :rolleyes:

You're not the only one with this problem. You can swap out the 6.0 for a 4cyl, or a 6cyl. You may want to lighten the rear end while you're at it. You can pick up a crate motor of your choice at Pep Boy's for a fair price. If it were me, I'd look into a VW motor. A little bit of German engineering in an Aussie car can't hurt.

This should help you with your MPG. As far as tires, you may want to consider retreads. They are inexpensive, and you can replace them at a much cheaper cost than Z rated ones. Besides with a smaller motor you'll have no need for z rated rubber.

You may also want to consider a hard hat with cup holders on either side with straws custom fit to length to your kisser. Be sure you get it for HOT liquids. This way no matter how hard you accelerate you'll not get scalded. Of course, with a 4cyl motor, the coffee in the cups will be cool till you reach desired speed.

But before you go through all this, I'd take the car in to your friendly Pontiac Service Center and tell them you want to do this under warranty. I think they can do that or give you credit for the motor swap out.

Also here's a little tip for those who plan on driving your GTO in wintry conditions :::::::: DRIVE BACKWARDS,,,,,, this will act as FWD.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Take it to the dealer and b!tch them out and make them fix it. It's under warranty for a reason. Make a scene if you have to, hell sue them if you have to....that'll be twin turbo money :D . Those things are not normal for any car. as for the gas mileage............... go buy a yaris if you want that. GTO is for muscle not for economy.

·
Registered
944 Posts
5000 miles on the rear tires? What the hell – stop babying the damn thing - LOL.

You know you’re really driving your GTO when:

You fill the tank as often as you eat.
Your MPG reading is in fractions
You know, for a fact, the wipers don’t work great over 130 MPH.
And finally, your carpet is worn through to metal under the gas pedal.

What else what else…???

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update

i went by the dealership the other day to complain about the poor acceleration problems. they asked for a demonstration. well i didn't get much of the cloud of smoke but the car was going all sideways. we did bout thirty minutes worth which ended up being a tankful of gas. the service manager got out the car quickly saying he would be back shortly. he came back with different set of clothes on and said that i've completely voided my warranty from overly aggressive driving. so i asked what's broken and causing the poor accel? he chuckled muttering something under his breath about the driver's foot having a cast on it and then said maybe i should look into another car. i commented i like the design of it and the interior size and there's not too much on the market that could easily replace it. when i asked about getting a new engine like a v6 or even an ecotec four he exploded in laughter. thn asked how much was i willing to spend to do such and thing and that the v6 wouldn't fit too easily nor would the ecotec. i asked about the four spark plugs being removed and i thought the poor fellow was going to fall out. he then said the car would run very rough if at all if i tried that. just felt like i was dealing with a jarhead. i might try another dealership's service department or i might just call up pontiac and see what sort of solution they have. man i wish they made a v6 gto :rolleyes: :willy:

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
i went by the dealership the other day to complain about the poor acceleration problems. they asked for a demonstration. well i didn't get much of the cloud of smoke but the car was going all sideways. we did bout thirty minutes worth which ended up being a tankful of gas. the service manager got out the car quickly saying he would be back shortly. he came back with different set of clothes on and said that i've completely voided my warranty from overly aggressive driving. so i asked what's broken and causing the poor accel? he chuckled muttering something under his breath about the driver's foot having a cast on it and then said maybe i should look into another car. i commented i like the design of it and the interior size and there's not too much on the market that could easily replace it. when i asked about getting a new engine like a v6 or even an ecotec four he exploded in laughter. thn asked how much was i willing to spend to do such and thing and that the v6 wouldn't fit too easily nor would the ecotec. i asked about the four spark plugs being removed and i thought the poor fellow was going to fall out. he then said the car would run very rough if at all if i tried that. just felt like i was dealing with a jarhead. i might try another dealership's service department or i might just call up pontiac and see what sort of solution they have. man i wish they made a v6 gto :rolleyes: :willy:

You may want to inform them that driving with a cast does not void a warranty. Handicapped people have rights too. As far as not enough room under the hood for a V6 or 4cyl, you'll have more room than you'll know what to do with. You would have to use extra shims to secure the smaller engine. You could also use bungee cords to help strap the motor in. And most importantly you'd have more room in there to put the overflow of the trunk cargo.

I would seriously try this, do not remove 4 spark plug wires. Just switch them up. So what if they are not in the right firing order. By switching them you'll be able to utilize the V8 but will have reduced power. You will get the clouds of smoke to accentuate the loudness of the exhaust. No matter how hard to press the accelerator you won't be able to achieve unnecessary HP that the engine produces. The service guy should have advised you of this, some of those monkeys don't know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I complained of these same problems, my dealer said, "They all do that, it's normal" Can you believe this BS? What the hell do we do?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I swapped out my LS1 yesterday with a Yugo engine I found in a salvage yard. I had to, my girlfriend said her neck hurt after every time I took her for a ride, and she would dump me if she ever had to change her underwear again afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I swapped out my LS1 yesterday with a Yugo engine I found in a salvage yard. I had to, my girlfriend said her neck hurt after every time I took her for a ride, and she would dump me if she ever had to change her underwear again afterwards.

Excellent choice of engines. You could have saved time just dropping the entire car under the hood rather than removing the Yugo engine, and had added weight.

Your 1/4 mile time should increase by 2 days anyway. Your girl friend now can go shopping for new underwear while you start the 1/4 mile run, and be back with a change out before you finish.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i looked for a yugo replacement on my own free time but couldn't find one. i don't even think ebay junkyards has one. you think putting the yugo in will cut down on my sideways time? those sidewalks come rather quickly sometimes before i have a chance to brace myself. i finally found a female who wanted to ride with me. one of those professionals. by the time we got to the end of the street was was paying me saying thanks for the ride i need to change my clothes now. every since i got this car my love life has gone down. i should have bought a civic with a kit and a folgers in a neon green color. they have them on sale across from the poncho dealership and you get a free set of cool dude shades with spandex. i'm going first thing in the morning

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Speaking of sidewalks. I was driving through town yesterday. Going by a tire and lube place, when a new viper comes out of the parking lot sideways right into the curb on the other side of the street. Relly f***ked up his wheels. Hope it wasn't a couple of guys doing the lube job, deciding to take it out for a little joy ride.:willy: :willy:

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
i looked for a yugo replacement on my own free time but couldn't find one. i don't even think ebay junkyards has one. you think putting the yugo in will cut down on my sideways time? those sidewalks come rather quickly sometimes before i have a chance to brace myself. i finally found a female who wanted to ride with me. one of those professionals. by the time we got to the end of the street was was paying me saying thanks for the ride i need to change my clothes now. every since i got this car my love life has gone down. i should have bought a civic with a kit and a folgers in a neon green color. they have them on sale across from the poncho dealership and you get a free set of cool dude shades with spandex. i'm going first thing in the morning
Maybe the motor from a LeCar would work. They barely ran as it was. This may be what you are looking for. The sideways play should be seriously diminished with the low torque of a motor this size. If you do hit a curb the lack of HP will bounce you back like a bumper car with no second thoughts.

With a car that looks hot but drives Grandma speed slow, you should have no problems picking up ladies in your local red light district. This way you can pay them to get in your car instead of having ladies paying you to get out.

·
Registered
63 Posts

The obvious solution to that problem is to tell your girlfriend to stop wearing underwear.:lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts