Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 06 GTO last Tuesday and was looking forward to decent gas milage but with 180 miles on her it's around 14mpg. I know this is a low number because I haven't been pushing it during the break in period.

Is this normal? Should I expect the MPG to go up after breaking her in?

I noticed in a few other posts other members are getting way higher so I'm kinda concerned about this.

Thanks for the help in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
My average gas milage from mile 24 to mile 989 is about 15.1, but I've got a heavy foot :lol:



Although I have seen this number climb since I drove off the dealer lot.



:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
GTOooo said:
I just bought an 06 GTO last Tuesday and was looking forward to decent gas milage but with 180 miles on her it's around 14mpg. I know this is a low number because I haven't been pushing it during the break in period.

Is this normal? Should I expect the MPG to go up after breaking her in?

I noticed in a few other posts other members are getting way higher so I'm kinda concerned about this.

Thanks for the help in advance!
You don't provide much detail to answer this question.

Do you have an automatic or manual?
Is your driving highway or stop and go?
Do you drive conservatively, or do you take off like a banshee at every stop light? Utilizing 400 horses does not come cheap. They need to eat.

Manuals are IMHO much more efficient than autos.
Highway mileage is great in my car; ~24-25MPG. (I've got an M6)
I'm averaging about 20-21 overall but 65% of my driving is highway, and I don't race from every stop light unless there's a good reason next to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
OP, I'm not getting as good a gas mileage as I expected either, but I've heard that gas mileage is a bit poorer on a car when it is brand new, until it gets a few thousand miles on it. I don't know much about this--maybe someone else here can clarify, and also tell if that is just rumor, or if it is something that applies/doesn't apply to the goat.

General info, for mileage comparison: Previously, I had an '01 Z28 Camaro, auto, that I got 19.5-20 on in daily driving, driving conservatively most the time but sometimes stepping on it more to pass, etc. This would be going to work, groceries, etc.

I drive my '06 GTO (M6) the same way and, from what I saw posted here, expected similar mileage. Unfortunately I'm now down to high 16's low 17's. I didn't buy the GTO for fuel economy (of course) but am getting lower than I expected. Have high-500 miles (580?) on it now. Was rusty with a stick shift as it had been many years since I'd driven one when I got it, but now got the main parts down, though I have room to improve in smoothness and quickness of shifting. Drive generally conservatively, especially as I want to be easy on the car the first 1000 miles or so (I've stepped on it harder 2x due to necessary situations). I live about 6 miles from work. Driving is "mixed"--mostly on roads that are 35-45mph and have lights every so often, but often you get stuck behind slow traffic, or someone slowing to turn, etc. Take the "highway" to work but it is usually packed with stop-and-go traffic. I guess all told my driving ends up being weighted toward city mileage. Maybe 60-65% city remainder highway?

By the way, what are the roads that are 35-45mph with occasional lights (not every block but intermittently, maybe every 3 blocks on average) with reasonable traffic considered? City or highway?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
GTOooo said:
I just bought an 06 GTO last Tuesday and was looking forward to decent gas milage but with 180 miles on her it's around 14mpg. I know this is a low number because I haven't been pushing it during the break in period.

Is this normal? Should I expect the MPG to go up after breaking her in?

I noticed in a few other posts other members are getting way higher so I'm kinda concerned about this.

Thanks for the help in advance!
You don't mention driving conditions. I live in cow pasture PA and most of my driving is highway and the rest is relatively low density traffic with few lights. I've never gotten less than 17MPG for a tankful of gas on my 05 M6. For pure highway driving I can get 25 - 26 MPG at a steady 65MPH. I generally average 22-23MPG on a 90 mile round trip commute.

If you're driving in an urban, stop and go environment, I can believe 14MPG.
If you're driving an A4, that will cost you some mileage as well. You can expect some improvement with break-in but it will be less than 10% and more likely in the 5% range.

Hey, you bought a 6.0L muscle car. EPA ratings are a relative guideline, not a guarantee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It states in my signature I have an M6, sorry for leaving those crucial factors out. I drive rather conservatively unless someone gives me a reason to unleash a can on em. I even utilize the 1st to 4th feature shift most of the time. I didn't expect a wonderfully economic vehicle, I knew what I was getting myself into.

Only reason I ask is because I previously owned a 1990 Mustang GT that was seriuosly modded the whole 9 from heads, cam etc. Nothing was stock and I was getting 14mpg on it too. Just doesn't seem right. I would say I drive 40% freeway and 60% street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
One other thing, that may or may no be a factor: With your GTO, are you calculating the gas mileage "the old fashioned way", or are you using the onboard computer?

With my Camaro, I calculated it myself. With the GTO, I'm mainly using the computer; however, I have started writing down the mileage and the gas gallons so I can calculate myself. The thing is I haven't filled up the tank again, so I cannot yet calculate my own.

I'd assume on your Mustang, you did the calculations yourself.

The reason I ask is that I've seen a few people (on this board, I think) say that the onboard computer can possibly give a value quite different from what hand calculations would come out to. Some people report their computer is accurate, and some people have way-off computers. It is probably a good idea to run your own calculations too, to get a side-by-side comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point. I've read the same things as you. I haven't filled up the gas tank yet so once I do that I will second check the computer with what my good 'ol hand calculations come to.

Clueless said:
One other thing, that may or may no be a factor: With your GTO, are you calculating the gas mileage "the old fashioned way", or are you using the onboard computer?

With my Camaro, I calculated it myself. With the GTO, I'm mainly using the computer; however, I have started writing down the mileage and the gas gallons so I can calculate myself. The thing is I haven't filled up the tank again, so I cannot yet calculate my own.

I'd assume on your Mustang, you did the calculations yourself.

The reason I ask is that I've seen a few people (on this board, I think) say that the onboard computer can possibly give a value quite different from what hand calculations would come out to. Some people report their computer is accurate, and some people have way-off computers. It is probably a good idea to run your own calculations too, to get a side-by-side comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
Clueless said:
OP, I'm not getting as good a gas mileage as I expected either, but I've heard that gas mileage is a bit poorer on a car when it is brand new, until it gets a few thousand miles on it. I don't know much about this--maybe someone else here can clarify, and also tell if that is just rumor, or if it is something that applies/doesn't apply to the goat.

General info, for mileage comparison: Previously, I had an '01 Z28 Camaro, auto, that I got 19.5-20 on in daily driving, driving conservatively most the time but sometimes stepping on it more to pass, etc. This would be going to work, groceries, etc.

I drive my '06 GTO (M6) the same way and, from what I saw posted here, expected similar mileage. Unfortunately I'm now down to high 16's low 17's. I didn't buy the GTO for fuel economy (of course) but am getting lower than I expected. Have high-500 miles (580?) on it now. Was rusty with a stick shift as it had been many years since I'd driven one when I got it, but now got the main parts down, though I have room to improve in smoothness and quickness of shifting. Drive generally conservatively, especially as I want to be easy on the car the first 1000 miles or so (I've stepped on it harder 2x due to necessary situations). I live about 6 miles from work. Driving is "mixed"--mostly on roads that are 35-45mph and have lights every so often, but often you get stuck behind slow traffic, or someone slowing to turn, etc. Take the "highway" to work but it is usually packed with stop-and-go traffic. I guess all told my driving ends up being weighted toward city mileage. Maybe 60-65% city remainder highway?

By the way, what are the roads that are 35-45mph with occasional lights (not every block but intermittently, maybe every 3 blocks on average) with reasonable traffic considered? City or highway?
I had an 02 Z28 4A that I also got about 19-20 with normal around town driving that is/was similar to yours. On the highway it would get between 27-29 mpg. The GTO was a 6M and I got 16-17 around town and 23.5- 24.5 on the highway. I think it's the weight of the car. My C6 with the 6A gets 20-21 around town and 28-30 on the highway. That's about average for a C6 with the 6M also.

Don't feel so bad though, my V6 Dodge Dakota gets 17 around town and 19-20 on tthe highway. Wouldn't be bad if it had 400 hp instead of 210.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
fergyflyer said:
I had an 02 Z28 4A that I also got about 19-20 with normal around town driving that is/was similar to yours. On the highway it would get between 27-29 mpg. The GTO was a 6M and I got 16-17 around town and 23.5- 24.5 on the highway. I think it's the weight of the car. My C6 with the 6A gets 20-21 around town and 28-30 on the highway. That's about average for a C6 with the 6M also.

Don't feel so bad though, my V6 Dodge Dakota gets 17 around town and 19-20 on tthe highway. Wouldn't be bad if it had 400 hp instead of 210.
It sounds like your experience is very similar to mine.. I guess it isn't so bad, I was just a bit disappointed because I expected 18-19. The 16-17 is still in the range of what I'm used to (all my cars have been V8s except 1).

That sucks about the Dakota mileage, though it sounds pretty average for what I've seen of other truck mileage. Everytime I look down at my gauge and see 16.8 or so and mentally groan, I remind myself of pickup truck mileage :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
fwiw, i average between 21-21.5 mpg in my 05 MT. on my way to work and back there's too much traffic to do much more than 75-80mph, and i do spend time shifting at 1,700rpm->1,000rpm due to slow vehicles in front of me. i do have a 5,000rpm run most days though, but it's short-lived. i use 93 octane gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
My 2006 M6 has about 400 miles on it now. I bought a GTO, not a Prius, so this is posted for information and not as a gripe. I also own an LS-6 El Camino, so fuel economy is not my first, second or third concern. I've been pretty easy on the GTO for three reasons. One, it is new. Two, I am in California and they are still selling the crap they call winter formula reformulated gas. $3.00 a gallon with an octane rating comparable to kerosene. It also has fewer BTUs per gallon and mileage is normally down about 8 to 10 percent because of the volume of the oxygenating agents that make it burn cleaner, but add no power. Lastly, I have not gotten the GMM Rip shifter I've ordered for it. But, like yourself, I've been underwhelmed by the mileage as displayed on the dash. Even at light throttle cruise at 65 I'm getting about 5 less than I would have guessed. If I go down a long hill with my foot off the throttle the instant economy gage goes to 00.0 which hopefully means it is over 100. I made a 75 mile, all freeway run and got about 20. Not bad, but not the 24 I would like to have seen. I have a Mercedes S500 that outweighs the Goat by at least a grand and it gets 21 for the same run. No, it is not a typo, the damn thing gets decent mileage for a tank. Another change I plan to make is to change the trans fluid to the Royal Purple Synchromax. It is available through PepBoys and seems to improve the shifting quite a bit. I suspect that improved shifting means less friction, so the mileage may come up a bit as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
on the highway i am getting fluctuating totals on average i am getting 22 miles per gallon at 65 but sometimes my gauge is reading between 24-27 miles per gallon at 75 mph and i don't know why i thought it would be more efficient at 65.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info. Let me know how the Royal Purple works out for you. Indeed that is a good point about the gas, I heard the same thing on the news but not as detailed as your description.

I'd be interested to see when they stop using that crappy gas. Stupid OPEC!

kerno said:
My 2006 M6 has about 400 miles on it now. I bought a GTO, not a Prius, so this is posted for information and not as a gripe. I also own an LS-6 El Camino, so fuel economy is not my first, second or third concern. I've been pretty easy on the GTO for three reasons. One, it is new. Two, I am in California and they are still selling the crap they call winter formula reformulated gas. $3.00 a gallon with an octane rating comparable to kerosene. It also has fewer BTUs per gallon and mileage is normally down about 8 to 10 percent because of the volume of the oxygenating agents that make it burn cleaner, but add no power. Lastly, I have not gotten the GMM Rip shifter I've ordered for it. But, like yourself, I've been underwhelmed by the mileage as displayed on the dash. Even at light throttle cruise at 65 I'm getting about 5 less than I would have guessed. If I go down a long hill with my foot off the throttle the instant economy gage goes to 00.0 which hopefully means it is over 100. I made a 75 mile, all freeway run and got about 20. Not bad, but not the 24 I would like to have seen. I have a Mercedes S500 that outweighs the Goat by at least a grand and it gets 21 for the same run. No, it is not a typo, the damn thing gets decent mileage for a tank. Another change I plan to make is to change the trans fluid to the Royal Purple Synchromax. It is available through PepBoys and seems to improve the shifting quite a bit. I suspect that improved shifting means less friction, so the mileage may come up a bit as well.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top