Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah so i was in the middle of making the journey from chicago, IL to Ft. Polk, LA just past st. louis on I55 when a horrible thing happened. i was just trucking along at about 75 mph in the right lane when 2 hillbillies come storming onto the the interstate at about 90 trucks caked with mud and rocks and god knows what flinging **** everywhere. i heard 2 pops from things hitting my car but i didnt know where. needless to say i caught up to them and displayed my thanks out the window.....i arrived at ft. polk at about midnight and didnt think to look at the car. this morining when i washed it there it was, a nickle size crack in the windshield at the far bottom corner of the passenger side. its pretty deep and starting to (spider web) i guess. its brand new and only had it for 5 days!!!!!:(

any reccomendations on what i should do, i called my insurance and it would only cost me 100$ out of pocket to replace the windshield...free to fix it but im not sure how good it would look, like i said its pretty deep..

thanks
dude

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had mine replaced not long after I had it. Mine was a gravel truck :mad:
They replaced the windshield but wound up scraping the bejeezus out of the outer gasket and scratching the dashboard near the defroster holes. They sent a company out to fix it and it looks okay, although a little shinier then the rest.
If I had it to do again, I'd go with the fix. Like you said, it's free. Try it and if it's not to your liking, then get it replaced.

·
Registered
415 Posts
That really sucks...I think in the long run you would be better off
with the 100 dollar complete replacment. Just make sure that
whoever does it is reputable and will do it right. If you can stand
having the blemish on your new goat it would be cheaper (and less hassle
and worries) just to have it repaired.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah good call... so the glass appears to be normal besides the shine? how bad were the cracks?

dude

·
Registered
108 Posts
yeah good call... so the glass appears to be normal besides the shine? how bad were the cracks?

dude
It's not really anything you would notice without me pointing it out, but I know it's there :rolleyes:
My hit was right below the rear view mirror. With the weight of the mirror the spider ran up to the roof within a day. They said it was still fixable but I opted for a new windshield.
Funny thing, 1st day with the new windshield I'm tooling along and "WHACK" on the windshield from an 18 wheeler kicking up a stone. I think that was the last time I took 287 to work.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's not really anything you would notice without me pointing it out, but I know it's there :rolleyes:
have it replaced, first the winsheild, next to chips in the hood, then the door dings. before you know it you have a piece of sh**. I'm dropping off my 06 to get a door ding out monday. not bad but I khow it's there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have it replaced, first the winsheild, next to chips in the hood, then the door dings. before you know it you have a piece of sh**. I'm dropping off my 06 to get a door ding out monday. not bad but I khow it's there.

hmmmm your right i think thats what ill do...my insurance agent told me its an "on site" deal, that would be good so i can make sure they dont scratch my car when they pry the old one out...

·
Registered
273 Posts
hmmmm your right i think thats what ill do...my insurance agent told me its an "on site" deal, that would be good so i can make sure they dont scratch my car when they pry the old one out...
good choice, thats what I would do. plus that dose nothing to your Ins., if you live where there is alot of road work being done or just bad roads. you mite look into glass coverage. should be around 40. a year, with zero deductable. most glass guys from the Ins. co. are good, they don't want a bad rep. or they can lose out on a steady pay check from the Ins. co. good luck.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
This summer really felt like an obstacle course on the freeways. Trucks heading to the dump with sheetmetal falling off of them during rush hour. Some jerk in a pickup charging onto the freeway in front of me -- with his stupid oversized tires flinging pea gravel out of its tread. A bag of tools falling off a guy's Harley in front of me. A wheel well liner falling off a car getting towed in front of me.

Ran over the wheel well liner -- which left black marks on the front bumper and sides of the car -- which came off with polish. Just glad nothing else happened. It has really been a pain.

Good luck with the windshield. A good installer will make everything as good as new without compromise.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
If your windshield is beginning to spider web, it's not feasible to get it fixed. REPLACE it. Even with minor chips fixed, you can still see it. No matter how you try not to look at it, your eyes will forever be drawn to it, even if it's not in the main line of vision. You should be able to get that fixed at no cost to you.

Spider webbing will most probably continue depending on how bad of a chip it was, and if it has started already, the integrity of the windshield has been compromised.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.