Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I complement my boss about his porsche 911 conv. twin turbo in the parking lot with the top down on a sunny just gorgeous South Florida day begging to be driven. Next thing you know he throws me the keys and says take it for a spin. My reaction is no sir I couldn't he repeatedly insists so I was like ok thanks. I get into this thing fire it up and I am salvitating. I take out on a back road in 1st gear punch it a little and feel the turbos kick in and my jaw drops at the way it pulls. I must say its definately one of the finest high-end sports car money can buy. As I come back from my joy ride I park it next to my pride and joy new 05 goat and realize hey I'm only 30 someday and a GTO is a decent start. Happy Friday Everyone :) :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
bitchin cars, i've driven a few and ridden in a few very high HP turbo porsche, I plan on building a 993 C2S one day, i'll be putting a 3.8L or 4.3L TT motor in it :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah, I'd love to have one, but hate to have to pay to fix it. That's a very cool boss you've got, I'd hang on to that job.
The last time one of my bosses threw me the keys and I said "no sir, I couldn't", I meant more like "no sir, I really don't want to, please don't make me". haha. There's just not much excitement in an old, underpowered Ford Truck. :lol:

·
Registered
590 Posts
A guy in my subdivision had the AWD Carrera S. Nice car and all......

$750 to take it in for oil change / and periodic maint.

He couldn't even work on it and he owns two car repair places.

High maintainence costs if you plan on keeping one.

I like being able to work on my plain ol muscle car:cheers

Two kinds of Carrera owners. Those that have looped their car and those that will:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
dealernut said:
Very agressive and nimble cars. Definetely a sound foundation for a car. IMO the reliability is the major drawback about the car. Other than that they are an amazing machine.

I probably have a dozen porsches I maintain on a regular basis, none have reliability problems. I have 2 in my family that have been gems as well.

What reliability problems are you referring to?

·
Registered
187 Posts
westell said:
A guy in my subdivision had the AWD Carrera S. Nice car and all......

$750 to take it in for oil change / and periodic maint.

He couldn't even work on it and he owns two car repair places.

High maintainence costs if you plan on keeping one.

I like being able to work on my plain ol muscle car:cheers

Two kinds of Carrera owners. Those that have looped their car and those that will:D

a $750 oil change job is absurd. These cars aren't hard to work on, hell I've done oil changes on a few myself. Only thing is they take a **** LOAD of oil.

·
Registered
187 Posts
GOATGIRL said:
I really would like to drive one of the new Caymens...I hear they're pretty hot too! :D

I can't wait to drive one. I have a customer w/ one on order who is going to try to get a GT3 motor in it :yum:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
HotRodGuy said:
I probably have a dozen porsches I maintain on a regular basis, none have reliability problems. I have 2 in my family that have been gems as well.

What reliability problems are you referring to?

My best friends are Porsche maniacs. They have had over 20 of them all throughout their lifes.

Here is a short list of their issues.
  • Alternator
  • Differentials
  • Transmission, mainly fly wheels and synchronizers
  • Electronic issues (radio going dead, dozens of bad batteries)
  • Water Pump
  • Inconsistent start ups.

They have many more unfortunately. I love driving their cars, but I would never own one because of the reliability. That and the maintenance is through the roof to take care of it. The water pump cost then $1750.00 to replace.

I seriously have all respect for the car. But if I have that type of jack, I am owning a Z06 all day.

·
Registered
187 Posts
dealernut said:
My best friends are Porsche maniacs. They have had over 20 of them all throughout their lifes.

Here is a short list of their issues.
  • Alternator
  • Differentials
  • Transmission, mainly fly wheels and synchronizers
  • Electronic issues (radio going dead, dozens of bad batteries)
  • Water Pump
  • Inconsistent start ups.

They have many more unfortunately. I love driving their cars, but I would never own one because of the reliability. That and the maintenance is through the roof to take care of it. The water pump cost then $1750.00 to replace.

I seriously have all respect for the car. But if I have that type of jack, I am owning a Z06 all day.

Well, I think that goes w/ all expensive cars, they all cost a good amount to fix. That said, almost ALL of the p-car owners I know, and that's a ton (know mechanics too) don't run into many problems. That said, there are problems w/ everything. Hell I know 3 new Z06's that have had motors replaced, and those are just cars i've actually touched.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
HotRodGuy said:
Well, I think that goes w/ all expensive cars, they all cost a good amount to fix. That said, almost ALL of the p-car owners I know, and that's a ton (know mechanics too) don't run into many problems. That said, there are problems w/ everything. Hell I know 3 new Z06's that have had motors replaced, and those are just cars i've actually touched.

I agree with, all cars have problems. They do. But a waterpump on a Z06 or a Viper will not cost 2 grand. I would go as far as saying the repairs on a Porsche are about 2 times more expensive as a Vette or Viper.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
With the joke I just posted, no one will believe this, but I have always liked Porsches. Through high school everyone talked about 60's cars or the new Corvette, TransAm or Z28 and such. I was always a Porsche 930 or 928 guy.

I can't justify the expense of owning one though. For the money they cost I can get a Z06 an spank a Porsche that cost 2 times the Z06. Then you have to maintain the car. I haven't heard 750 for an oil change. I have heard that when the maintenance is due you spend 750 to a 1000 for regular maintenance. That's about every 10,000 miles. Meanwhile they have gone to an in tank fuel filter on my C6 that needs changed at 200,000 miles. They recomend you change the fuel pump at that point too. The oil changes following the service light are 55-60 every 10k. Brakes are pricey, but compared to the $1175 a friend of mine paid for his 911, I think I won't complain about $400.

Is the Porsche the best on the road. I'd still say yes, but only by a little and the price makes you wonder if it's worth it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Porsche has found a winning style and stuck with it. That's one of the things I really admire about them. They have done small tweaks to the design, but it's been the same basic design for a loooooong time.
Not many other cars can pick a style and stay with it because it's just THAT good.
A thousand years from now, when people look back at the cars from the 20th-21st century, they're going to see the porsche 911 family and say "wow, that's beautiful...a total waste of resources and slow...but beautiful". haha

·
Registered
187 Posts
btw, check out this thing. I will have one of these one day. This is a real RUF Turbo R (will be converted to a CTR2 soon) car w/ VIN and everything. Car has hit a GPS and Radar verified 218 mph. It's a customers of mine. Unreal f'ing car.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Very nice!
Where in the heck do you get radar tested to find out how fast your car can go. I SERIOUSLY want to do that!! :willy:

·
Registered
187 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.