Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how strong the posi is on the LS2? on the review they say "If u layrubber and one tire stops spinning you have a good chance of breaking the posi"

My question was if anyone has ever experimented with this? running doughnuts .. chuko-doris ect ect..
If so ... how is the car so far?

I only ask cus im scared of breaking my rear-end :willy: :party:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
It's not a posi it's a limited slip differential, I've known a lot of people who have "smoked" the clutches on their limited slips and have to upgrade. I've about destroyed mine, they are the same on the 04's as well (c.v.'s are bigger on the 05's). They will hold up under average abuse, so you should be fine, I would however upgrade the fluid to Amsoil or Royal Purple, GM fluid sucks! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shame they dont make the gear-type diffs like SLP did for the 7 5/8 rear. Those suckers were indestructible! Had one hold up to over 100 1.7 short times on a Nitto, endless donuts and ungodly burnouts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the T/C on or off ? does it make a difference in the stress put on the vehicle?..
Cus i can lay rubber with it on and off .. but off seems better...

when I race the mountain I leave T/C ON.... cus of hairpins..and better traction up and downhill..

would this tear appart the car? :willy: :party:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vedli said:
What about the T/C on or off ? does it make a difference in the stress put on the vehicle?..
Cus i can lay rubber with it on and off .. but off seems better...

when I race the mountain I leave T/C ON.... cus of hairpins..and better traction up and downhill..

would this tear appart the car? :willy: :party:
Nope, traction control is just an electronic aid, the limited slip is a mechanical one. Very separate items.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
smkdu said:
Doesn't the GTO have posi b/c from a stop if I punch it I go sideways!!! and leave 2 tire tracks :willy:
a true posi rearend locks both tires together. What these cars have is a limited slip. A way to know the difference is on a true posi car, making a U turn is a VERY difficult thing to do because the inside tire wont rotate as much as the outside tire, causing it to drag, or skid. In a limited slip, that problem does not exist, hence making it easier to drive on a daily basis. When power is applied though, it does leave two black marks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
the word "POSI" is just short for posi trac...that just GM's name for its limited slip...the name stuck years ago, so now, most people refer to clutch type rears as "posi".... :cheers...p.s. if your car is jerky when doing u turns.. its is either a modified posi{stiffer springs}, or a spool...because even a detroit locker, unlocks when you go around a corner..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THIS is a limited slip differential

THIS is a true "posi" differential, aka a "spool"

As you can clearly see, a "true posi" will spin both tires at the same speed, at all times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
flht3 said:
sorry.. but thats not a true posi..its a spool{ live axle}..the top one is a cluch type dif..aka, posi.. :cheers
dude, a spool IS a true posi, as it locks the right and left axles together right off the ring gear. IT DONT GET MORE POSITIVE THAN THAT !!!

:cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
all im saying is the word.. POSI.. is just short for posi trac,which is GM's name for its limited slip differential... some manufatures called them sure trac,others, call it sure grip...a spool is a spool, its a live axle... :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, the terminology may be a little off BUT a spool can be used in an IRS as well as a live axle. Here is proof for ya.

I know these pics only show a limited slip but keep in mind, a spool OR a limited slip can be used in either rearend type, on any vehicle

live axle:

IRS center section:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
*shakes head*

They call it LIVE axle because the entire assembly moves up and down along with the suspension. An IRS "independent" rear suspension means the center section is attached permanently to the body but the "axles" or half-shafts move with the suspension.

:seeya:

·
Registered
267 Posts
flht3 said:
the word "POSI" is just short for posi trac...that just GM's name for its limited slip...the name stuck years ago, so now, most people refer to clutch type rears as "posi".... :cheers...p.s. if your car is jerky when doing u turns.. its is either a modified posi{stiffer springs}, or a spool...because even a detroit locker, unlocks when you go around a corner..

this was my originial post....i was just trying to inlighten everyone were the name "POSI" came from...that all.. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
huh, dont remember reading that, going back to re-read this entire post.... get back with you in one second...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now we can both say we have educated others WAY more than they needed to know.

(p.s., you edited that today, I see you trying to be slick...)

Truth be told, EVERY car sold today is either an open (single tire spins) or a limited slip (both tires spin) differential. NO CAR SOLD TO THE PUBLIC has a true spool type rearend, its race car only material.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.