Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up guys. i've been lurking around these boards now for a while and am thinking about getting a gto within the next couple months. 1 question, does anyone have the auto? if so how do you like it. i used to have a jeep that was a 5spd but sold it because driving in and out of chicago everyday in rush hour was a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have the auto... and LOVE it. For a 400hp V8 automatic, it gets the greatest gas mileage ever. Easily 18 around town, and 24 on the highway. I love it because I drive in a lot of heavy traffic also, so the manual didn't seem like the most fun option for me. The auto tranny on this car is just amazing. It somehow manages to even run faster than the manual version of the GTO does.

(To give you an idea on the gas mileage, a Mustang GT runs on average about 16 mpg city - and have you seen the new Charger? Especially the 6.1L Charger?.... 14mpg on a good day!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, im not to worried about gas im gonna be parting w/ my 2003 f-250 v8 and that thing drank gas like no other. about 11-12 mpg around town. that car willl be completley paid off in the next 2-3 months and thats when im gonna start seriously shopping around. i thought a truck was what i wanted but i wanna get into a fast car again.
thanks for the reply
kevin

·
Registered
222 Posts
:agree

I also have the Automatic and Really enjoy it. Chirped second gear on a 0-60 run against a Intrepid while I never left D . Lots of forumer's have strong opinions regarding Brands, drivetrains , etc. - I debated the issue myself before buying , so I test drove both and made my decision from that. I drive thru eight 65-55-45-55-65 speedtraps daily and the automatic requires less multi-tasking. Other drivers who you allow behind the wheel may not know M6 . Also the A4 gets Torque Management and the Cool lowering after you take it out of Park and the TC button is in different location. These stock GTO's are Fast and the A4 is not something that limits the FUN... Get'm while they last :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the 6 speed and I drive in and out of Chicago every day as well. That thing has so much torque that a ton of shifting isn't needed in stop and go traffic. I find myself using 4th gear as "Drive" when I'm bumping up and down the Edens (I-94)

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
lionsfan54 said:
I have the 6 speed and I drive in and out of Chicago every day as well. That thing has so much torque that a ton of shifting isn't needed in stop and go traffic. I find myself using 4th gear as "Drive" when I'm bumping up and down the Edens (I-94)
:agree
The redline is at 6500 rpm. You can wind it out pretty good if you want to. You don't have to shift when you are in heavy traffic. In stop and go traffic, I will stay in 1st. If I have to I will go into 2nd. When creeping in 1st it is equal to an automatic. I've found virtually no difference in automatic, or stick when in bumper to bumper traffic. I guess there is pros and cons on this issue. For this fire breather I drive, my choice is stick.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The auto is a great transmission in this car. Don't let the fear of lost performance scare you from it. Except on a road cousre it will perform equally as well as the 6 speed.
I bought a six speed because I'm a control freak. I also love to hear the engine pop and burble when down shifting or lifting throtle. As far as traffic is concerned, when I do find myself in traffic I use 2nd and 4 th. I start out in second, and it goes to 30 without any problems then hit 4th which is ok down as low as 15 with all the torque this thing has and as high as you will drive in traffic.

·
Registered
565 Posts
One thing I don't know about the auto is the whole Torque Management on the 05. I know a lot of guys with the 04 A4 were complaining about it taking a lot of kick out of the car, but as far as I can tell the 05 really doesn't have that much power supressed. So can anyone here tell me if Pontiac lessened the TM for the 05's or am I just crazy. I know I've gotten track times in the mid to lower 13's at the track with my goat... and from what others 04 drivers are saying about TM I shouldn't be able to get that... ? :confused

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
RiceEater said:
One thing I don't know about the auto is the whole Torque Management on the 05. I know a lot of guys with the 04 A4 were complaining about it taking a lot of kick out of the car, but as far as I can tell the 05 really doesn't have that much power supressed. So can anyone here tell me if Pontiac lessened the TM for the 05's or am I just crazy. I know I've gotten track times in the mid to lower 13's at the track with my goat... and from what others 04 drivers are saying about TM I shouldn't be able to get that... ? :confused
Especially with the heat and humidity we have here in central florida. If your going to OSW, they have the bumpiest track I have ever been on. They also do not know what vht is. If Your in the low 13's there recently then you have a really strong GTO. Hang on to that puppy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Especially with the heat and humidity we have here in central florida. If your going to OSW, they have the bumpiest track I have ever been on. They also do not know what vht is. If Your in the low 13's there recently then you have a really strong GTO. Hang on to that puppy.
I haven't been in the low 13's for probably a month and a half now. The weather just hasn't been kind to the goats engine. But back in May it was running strong.

Still though, what has anyone else experienced with the 05's torque management? I just need to know if my goat is special or if other 05 A4 drivers aren't experiencing it that bad either.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have had sticks in the past, I bought my auto and I love it. The auto in these cars is awsome , it will chirp second every time you get on it. I do drive mine mainly around town, thats why I decided to get the auto.:cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.