Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a new GTO, but before I commit to putting 30 large on a car, I would like to know what I am buying. So I would like to know what every one thinks of their GTO. Obviously I think it looks great, and has phenominal performance (I've driven a couple already), but what I'd really like to know is how it holds up. To be honest, I'll probably drive it 25k miles per year (I'm in my car more than my house sometimes), and in the snow as well (call me crazy, go ahead)...... is it even possible with this car? I'm not one to spend heart earned money on a car to just park it in the garage for 8 months and look at it. I want to enjoy it, so I would like to know if it's wise to do that.

Also, I know it's still too new to forcast long term reliability, but in your experiences, has the car shown signs of wearing out? Rattles, shakes, poor interior plastics, cracked leather on the seats? How about engine and computer/electrical systems..... any problems with them? Glitches, leaks, etc.?

I'm pretty much set on an '05 Cyclone Gray 6 speed. Any of your opinions or comments are welcomed. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Looks like I bought your car, 05 Cyclone Gray 6M. I love the color. It's one of the more sophisticated colors that doesn't scream ticket me or steal me. Picked it up on Friday. I too drive about 25K miles per year. This is my daily driver 12 months of the year. I haven't had it in snow yet but I would think dedicated snow tires are a must. I have always used separate summer/winter tires on all my cars with separate wheels for each. Cheap insurance against repair & hospital bills. Looks like the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are a good match. With some skill and traction control you should be fine.

So far, I'm impressed. The car is very livable. Build quality is at least as good as the Volvo 850 Turbo I traded. Holden made sound design decisions and solid materials choices for the interior. I took an eighty mile trip yesterday. Under light throttle, the interior is very quiet and comfortable. You can easily hold a conversation with backseat passengers at 65MPH. Around town, accelerating in traffic, it's got the muscle car sound but if that bothers anyone, there's always a Camry.

As a plus, I got 25 MPG on that eighty mile trip. That's on a 50/50 combination of wide open country roads and highway. I was being very light on the throttle (break in). But this car is capable of decent mileage if you're capable of keeping the go pedal off the firewall.

Best Of Luck with your decision. You won't go wrong with a GTO.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The most solid vehicle I've own - Solid as Rock. As good or better than the RWD Volvos I've owned. Its been in production as the Monaro for several years. No rattles, comfortable and quiet on the highway for a muscle car. The LS V8s are great engines. Had a Camaro Z-28 for 6 years before the GTO. Volvo Turbos and a '67 Dodge Charger 383-4 before that. Most rewarding vehicle I've owned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No regrets on my purchase of an '05 a few weeks ago. Followed a light break in for the first 500 miles and now I've started nailing it from time to time. It'll bark the tires at 75mph when dropping down to fourth. Pretty impresive acceleration for the weight of this car. I'll be looking at ways to make it loose a hundred or so pounds. Lost weight is the best way to improve all around performance (better handling, better acceleration, better mileage, etc...) I'm at 1400 miles now with no problems. Love the seats! Blaupunkt system sucks though, IMO.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bought an 04 in Oct. This is the first car I have ever owned that gives me a big grin on my face every time I walk out to my garage to get in it. I have over 6500 miles on it and they have all been great!!! IMO the GTO and the mustang are in a totally different class. The GTO is really in a class by itself. It's more high end than the mustang. I can't stand the retro look. I'm 41 and wasn't old enough when the original GTO came out, although my older sister dated a guy who had one. I liked them back then and I was really excited when the new GTO came out. I think you will have an excellent experience with the GTO, should you decide to get one. I want to get an 06 for the extra hp. Good luck on your decision. Hope this helps!!! :cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go for it fastball. Mine is 6 months old, and I've driven it a bit in the snow. It's a grumblin rumblin sleek piece of modern machinery. I've had no problems at all with mine, other than it's too fast! is that possible?? I had my kid drive by me a few times to hear it from outside. Sweeter sounds are not imaginable. There's no tracks around here so I do interstate ramps, no greater feeling than solid control at 80+ in 3rd gear.
I still smell the new leather. The sound system is easy to navigate..even for a geezer like me. BUY ONE or in your old age you'll become bitter and grumpy!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
GumbyGoat said:
Bought an 04 in Oct. This is the first car I have ever owned that gives me a big grin on my face every time I walk out to my garage to get in it. I have over 6500 miles on it and they have all been great!!! IMO the GTO and the mustang are in a totally different class. The GTO is really in a class by itself. It's more high end than the mustang. I can't stand the retro look. I'm 41 and wasn't old enough when the original GTO came out, although my older sister dated a guy who had one. I liked them back then and I was really excited when the new GTO came out. I think you will have an excellent experience with the GTO, should you decide to get one. I want to get an 06 for the extra hp. Good luck on your decision. Hope this helps!!! :cheers
I'd have to agree about GTO vs Mustang. They're in different classes altogether. The Mustang carries on the big engine, little car cheap thrills formula of the pony car wars. It gives a lot of bang for the buck and I love the styling. But the quality of the two cars interiors don't compare. Not even close. The Ford is all cheap hard plastic. The GTO interior is elegant.

The Mustang can put up some great numbers in a magazine road test on a track. But, try taking that solid rear axle around a corner with uneven pavement or potholes. Bump skip bump skip. When it comes to passengers, the Mustang has all the rear seat comfort that pony cars are known for, zero. The GTO has excellent comfort for six footers front and rear at the same time.

As for power train, well, the Ford 4.6L doesn't compare to the LS2. Not in power, torque, sound, or heritage.

The GTO is a true grand tourer whose legitimate competition is the BMW 6 series coupe at twice the price. The Mustang is the last surviving pony car. I've gotten older and wiser. I expect more from a car than the pony car formula can deliver.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 1,300 miles on my 05, and I think it's great. I live in the north half of OH, so I'll be driving it in snow also. I'm not concerned at all about the snow though - the car weighs 3,700lbs and the engine is very easy to drive at low rpm, and you can start in 2nd if needed. I've had 6 RWD cars that I drove in the snow, and it's the little, light cars that can't handle the snow. The bigger cars like the GTO don't have many problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Mustang is certainly not on my list...... I prefer a little sophistocation with my muscle, not a pony boy racer attitude.

And I'm sure I'll find someone here who posts once something goes wrong with their car. But I do thank you all for your opinions.

I must admit I've driven a 2000 Honda Prelude for the last 5 1/2 years, and at 125k miles, I've done nothing but new tires, belts, and brakes. Even the clutch is original. I've always said I'd buy a GM vehicle if they made something appealing (i.e. refined, well built, reliable, fun to drive, and clean good looks), but they really haven't untill now. The very fact I'd even consider going back to a GM vehicle shows they've made good strides (my last American car was a 1990 Chevy Beretta GT, for that headache I've never forgiven GM, but I just might now)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I may get trashed for this but here are a few things I DON'T like about mine:

1) Don't even think of driving in the rain because the windows fog up so badly you can't see a darn thing.

2) Lacks low-end punch that I thought it would have. Power doesn't seem to really hit hard until around 3000+ RPM.

3) Stereo sucks ass...easily upgraded though.

4) No moonroof option

5) No theromometer/compass in the rearview. Yes, that's nitpicking but I miss mine so much I'm buying an aftermarket one.

6) CAGS...easily eliminated though.

7) Don't try getting in the back seat unless you have 10 minutes of free time.

8) Did I mention the stereo sucks ass?

9) Mine, for some reason, and nobody else's from what I've read, has a stumbling problem if you attempt to drive it cold. Give it 2 minutes of driving and it's fine.

10) Wheels/tires are kinda blah....

11) Don't even try to carry more than a carry-on bag in the trunk.

There may be other small things...

BUT STILL WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!!! :cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MY05GTO said:
I may get trashed for this but here are a few things I DON'T like about mine:

1) Don't even think of driving in the rain because the windows fog up so badly you can't see a darn thing.

Doesn't running the defroster on full blast with the A/C engaged do the trick?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.