Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a guy helping me
He is hoping the factory cast iron exhaust maniolds and aftermarket exhaust can be removed without cutting the exhaust
Is it possible to remove the manifolds and exhaust as one unit
Shouldnt the aftermarket exhaust unbolt from the manifolds?
Thank you!!

· Registered
7,373 Posts
Have a guy helping me
He is hoping the factory cast iron exhaust maniolds and aftermarket exhaust can be removed without cutting the exhaust
Is it possible to remove the manifolds and exhaust as one unit
Shouldnt the aftermarket exhaust unbolt from the manifolds?
Thank you!!
Probably not. You won't get the tail pipes out from over the rear axle unless you plan to pull out the rear end..

If you put the car up on a lift, you may be able to snake the front pipes out with the stock exhaust manifolds attached after cutting them loose from the tail pipes, but not sure it there is enough room on those exhaust manifolds.

The front head pipes that attach to the factory exhaust manifolds are bolted to it with a flange. There should be 2 studs/nuts or bolts. What you don't want is to snap bolts removing the manifolds from the heads or the pipes from the flanges. Then you are in big trouble.

· Registered
7,373 Posts
Thank you Jim!
Replacing the exhaust most likely so will cut after manifold and pull out!
If you have to cut, cut where the pipe is straight (no curve odd shape) and simply use a short connector pipe purchased at most auto stores with the same Inside Diameter (ID) as the Outside Diameter (OD) as the pipe you cut. Then slip the connector pipe over each and use an exhaust clamp to secure. Have done this a number of times - including my 2015 Hyundai when I replaced the catalytic converter when one side unbolted and the other side went aaaaaall the way to the exhaust manifold. Wasn't going to mess with the manifold, so the saws-all worked great and the converted is on without any other problems I may have encountered at the exhaust manifold. (y)

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the manifolds bolt to the exhaust? Thought I could just cut them out and bolt them back to the manifold
I havent been over to look at them. Please forgive my ignorance
Mechanic mentioned over the phone that they would need to be cut out

· Registered
7,373 Posts
Do the manifolds bolt to the exhaust? Thought I could just cut them out and bolt them back to the manifold
I havent been over to look at them. Please forgive my ignorance
Mechanic mentioned over the phone that they would need to be cut out
Exhaust pipes bolt to the exhaust manifold outlets, so not sure what you/he is meaning. Your mechanic should know exatly what to do or he is not a mechanic. He will show you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts