Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a copy/paste from someone elses post at a different site:

Do you realise how unsafe those Monaro cars are? it was developed in secret from Holden management in their plant in Victoria and did not have design/engineering approval initially. From memory they scored marginal in crash tests.
That and the design dates back to about 1998, i think they stopped making them late last year - early this year.

He is from "Perth, Western Australia". Has anyone else heard similar claims before? It's all new to me...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
novacoke said:
Heres a copy/paste from someone elses post at a different site:

Do you realise how unsafe those Monaro cars are? it was developed in secret from Holden management in their plant in Victoria and did not have design/engineering approval initially. From memory they scored marginal in crash tests.
That and the design dates back to about 1998, i think they stopped making them late last year - early this year.

He is from "Perth, Western Australia". Has anyone else heard similar claims before? It's all new to me...
I heard Opel desigened these cars. Don't know if that's true, though.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Here is ANCAP's 2004 test results for the Monaro;

The HOLDEN MONARO scored 12.47 out of 16 in the offset crash test.

The passenger compartment held its shape well. Protection from serious chest injury was marginal for the passenger.

The vehicle scored 13.419 out of 16 in the side impact crash test. There was a moderate risk of serious abdomen injury for the driver.

·
Registered
182 Posts
O.K the link has brought up a question for me..
I though GM gave the excuse that adding side airbags to the GTO would be an expensive task so that's one reason why it was droped. However the link states that they test Side Air bags with head protectant. Is this different than regular side impact air bags?

·
Registered
910 Posts
05GTO said:
According to the article a comparison will show...we do not have head protection, I am not aware of an auto fuel shutdown, leg or knee injuries for driver are likely along with abdomen injury. Floor moved rearward along with brake pedal. Reading between the lines and having the experience of extricating people from a crash, and also seeing how cars react after impact, I would say this car is a perfect candidate for a Hurst tool, (Jaws of life), operation when hit hard in the nose. I am not here to say that our cars are Sh!t boxes, however , looking at the way it is constructed and being in a position to see all types of cars wrecked, whether it be with the FD or my business, I just want to convey one thought to all of you.....BE CAREFUL!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess its all food for thought. I don't take everything said by that original poster with complete truth because I'm not sure he is fully convinced based on how he wrote what he did. Also that was off of a Saab forum and certain people there have tendancies to slam any other car if possible (not that I am suggesting he is doing this, I don't know him well enough to judge).

The only severe wreck I have been in personally was in a 2002 Monte Carlo, hitting the side of a Ford Explorer while I was traveling approximatly 55mph. The driver of the explorer ran the red light and I had very little time to hit the brakes. Out of the accident all I had was a minor scratch/brusing from the seat belt, but the engine compartment was screwed up big time... totaled the car.

I would like to think that a similar accident in the GTO would have a similar outcome but it does seem like more of the force would be taken by the frame since there is less in the engine compartment to crush.

When I get some time I think I'll do some searching for some actual crashes involving our cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a minimum level of protection required before a vehicle can be sold in the states. I am sure the car will absorb as much of an impact as it can. Most safety measures are designed to save your life with minimal injury, but chances are there will some level of injury. Even air bags are just as likely to kill you as they are to save you. The best thing to do is just drive as defensively as you can and always look out for the other guy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The safety issue is the ONE thing that has always kept me at bay (as well as saving up an 80% down payment). I was set on a CTS-V, especially since it's 5 star frontal and I believe side as well. But, 40k plus for a car just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is the GTO an unsafe automobile? It sounds like it is a deathtrap here. There is always a possibility that any vehicle will kill you. I rolled my 67 Ford F100 and survived it fine with just the original lap belt. If you don't feel safe with a GTO, don't buy one or get rid of the one you have :willy:and get a "safe" vehicle. The strut rubbing the front tire is a real safety issue, the crash-ability is a maybe,only if you are in a serious wreck, safety issue.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Trukcrazy said:
Is the GTO an unsafe automobile? It sounds like it is a deathtrap here. There is always a possibility that any vehicle will kill you. I rolled my 67 Ford F100 and survived it fine with just the original lap belt. If you don't feel safe with a GTO, don't buy one or get rid of the one you have :willy:and get a "safe" vehicle. The strut rubbing the front tire is a real safety issue, the crash-ability is a maybe,only if you are in a serious wreck, safety issue.
:agree

Like the man said, if you're concerned about the crumple zones, or whatever, get over it, or get something else. If you think about where cars are today safety wise, event the least safe is far better than anything we had 25 years ago.

You want to be as safe as possible, read the IIHS offset crash tests, and buy on their recommendation. You want excitement, get a GTO.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Evan a "safe" car can be a problem. Woman who works with my daughter was in a 5 star rated vehicle when just a few months ago she was hit from the side by a Beer Truck. She had her seat belt on and the air bags deployed but the way that the crash happened from the side, the door was bent in and the door popped open and she was then ejected from the car and then the car rolled over on her and crushed her pelvis. She is still recovering at home. Point is that even with front and side air bags and the seat belts and structual integrity of the vehicle did nothing to prevent her injury. Not to mention the four people killed a few months ago when stopped in traffice and a semi trailer tipped over and crushed them them to death from the top.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Safety? I'll tell you the story that convinced me to take the plunge. I'm a lawyer - I have a client who (allegedly) was doing about 115mph with a passenger in an '05 A4 when he rolled it into a little ball. That's about all the detail I can go into because it's an ongoing case, but suffice it to say, he and his passenger walked away. So how's that for safety?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
malum in se said:
Safety? I'll tell you the story that convinced me to take the plunge. I'm a lawyer - I have a client who (allegedly) was doing about 115mph with a passenger in an '05 A4 when he rolled it into a little ball. That's about all the detail I can go into because it's an ongoing case, but suffice it to say, he and his passenger walked away. So how's that for safety?
That's good enough for me!:cool

·
Registered
89 Posts
I took A t- bone shat at about 15mbh by an '05 mercedes cls500. $4k and 1.5 months later I got my baby back. Hopefully when I get the time, I can show you guys the damage from impact. Passenger side damage was severe. possible rib damage for the passenger if I had one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.