Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,ive been hearing this grinding clanking in left rear tire for some time now.sounds like brakes maybe.could this be a result of power braking the car,maybe froze up the cylinder and loosened it?only happens on slow right turns when braking and returning the wheel straight.any thoughts?

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
".....been hearing this grindingclanking in the left rear tire for some time now. sounds like brakes maybe. could this be a result of power braking the car...."

Gee......Ya THINK?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Steven, Steven, Steven...

Steven, Steven, Steven... :willy: hearing grinding clanking for some time???
Please jack up your car, remove the wheel and slide the drum off and have a look, if for no other reason there are others of us out there with you.
Thanks. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hardware

Steven, probably what happened is the rear shoes have kicked off their hardware that holds them on in there. When you brake (if your brake adjustment is correct) you engage front and rear brakes. So, when you powerbrake the rear brake is on but the driveline wants to go so something has to give. Hopefully it's the brake hardware and not something more expensive.
:cheers

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Steven, Back the car up slowly. Step sharply on the brake pedal (not enough to skid). do this a couple times. This MIGHT cure the problem. I would DEFINATELY pull the wheel and inspect the brakes. Power braking is VERY bad for your cars overall health, despite the fact that it is a lot of fun! And remember what Spiderman's Uncle Ben told him..." With great power comes great responsibility." The noise is most probably a brake issue. Eric:willy::party:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wish i was that lucky,but it turns out its a blown posi unit.good thing is, the guy who built it is replacing it.should have it back tomorrow or thursday.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I'm assuming you didn't tell him you had been "abusing" it....:willy:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was told it takes a great number of holeshots and power braking to do this kind of damage,which i wasn't doing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
power braking for more than a few seconds makes your atf temp go very high (1000F+) so yeah it not a good thing to do on a daily baisis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts