Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 66 LeMans with no power steering.There is a power steering pump bolted to the front of the 455 engine,I just need a power steering gear box and lines.The seller told me an 85 Monte Carlo gear box will bolt right in .Also what good parts books should I be looking to get? Also this was a project a guy had to sell it has no heat AC or radio the fire wall was metaled over.Im curious if there are any after market heat/AC combos out there and controls?

·
Registered
98 Posts
All Saginaw boxes have the same mounting holes. There are internal differences though. The biggest change was in 1980 when the hose threads were changed to Metric and a different size input shaft was added. The Camaro/Firebird boxes have different steering stops internally making for bigger turning radius for the A body cars.

Most popular steering box is the Jeep GRAND Cherokee Saginaw box from late 93 to 98. It bolts right in but will need hose adapters and a newer rag joint. Do a search and you will find all kinds of different options to accomplish this.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/334534-jeep-box-upgrade-pics-then-some.html

Numerous companies offering under dash AC units. Vintage Air and Old Air Products come to mind.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I have power steering in my 67 goat which I upgraded to a quicker ratio box.
Why can't the same be installed in your lemans?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi
I have nice dated 66 67 originals... with correct pitman arm ..

right around 100 shipped...shipping is 38,00 fedex so around 60

for the box and pitman arm .. rag joint and the hoses ...

Scott
[email protected]

·
Registered
56 Posts
I purchased a re manufactured PS gearbox from Summit Racing that was correct for my 65 for around $120.00 (required Pitman arm not included). As noted the hoses input thread and seal type at the box are different on the newer gear boxes, but also the input shaft on the newer gear box is smaller. The 64-72 was 3/4", the newer box is 5/8". Not the end of the world, but you will need a new rag joint that's compatible with the new smaller shaft box, plus the custom hoses. Know too that you will most likely need to replace your water pump and crank pulleys as well as source a PS pump pulley. The reproduction pulleys are powder coated and cause slippage of the belts and squealing, so sourcing used pulleys or having the new pulleys sandblasted in the groves will be required. As I just went through adding PS to my 65, I can tell you too that the reproduction mounting brackets for the PS pump are less than "accurate". I had quite a time spacing and shimming the brackets in order to get the PS pulley in proper alignment with the water pump and crank pulleys. A simple way to check alignment of the pulleys is to use a 3/8" round rod (straight of course) and with the belts off, lay the rod in the pulley grove on top and bottom and put light pressure on the rod while in one pulley to check alignment of all the pulleys. The rod should be 12-14" long. I found that threaded rod works well, but that's just what I had laying around. Use as many correct parts as you can and stay away from later model parts that will just wind up giving lots of aggravation. I found Sonic Motors in Holly Michigan to be a great source for used parts. They had almost anything I asked them for and while are often a little slow on their responses, are very knowledgeable. (source for used pulleys) Check the lower bearing on your steering column (shaft) too, as this will be a good time to replace it if required. Be sure to use real PS fluid and not transmission fluid. If you order a gear box from Summit, note that they offer different ratios. You will need a core to get the $118.00 price as it's a $90.00 core charge. You will need to check with Summit to see if they will take a manual box in exchange. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions as I just went through this upgrade on my 65.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put a 98 GC box in my 64.
It is excellent

I used the borgeson fittings in the pressure side and used the O ring style tube from the old return line off the jeep.

It was such an easy swap ,It would be nonsense not to.

I got the box for 50 bucks.

Borgeson fittings were 13 bucks.

TheOE pressure line fiting from the 64 line screwed right in.
The return line also fit, but was a tad loose. Pointis, even though the fittings are metric on the GC box, the lines will screw in and tighten well.

The box has a NICE ratio and has 87 degree sweep at the pittman arm which is paramount to get an improved turning radius.

In case you hadnt noticed, the early GM A bodys did not manuever well.

Mine had amanula steering box as well. It truly sucked trying to park at a car show.

I put a usedbox from a 69 one it and the steering radius still was to wide, i did not manuever /parking well at all.

The Grand cherokee box was a HUGE improvement

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borgeson-925122-Power-Steering-Hose-Adapter-Fitting-HARDWARE/223750044305?epid=250931122&hash=item34188aba91:g:4O8AAOSwd9hdzZ8J

These are the inserts where the flare style lines go into the box.^^^^^^^

Even though the lines/ports are be metric on the jeep box, the older SAE thread hoses will screw in no problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts