Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would make the power steering unit (2005 gto) hard to use? Mine is stiff going around slow corners. The reservoir has fluid and there are no leaks that I can see from above and below. A friend said it's the cam I have that is affecting the way the pump is working. One fix is to go with electric but just wanted to hear some opinions. Has anybody experienced this after getting a cam that has a lope to it? Could that really be the reason? Thanks for any input.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Cam should not effect the power steering pump. Sometimes the bushings in the rack get varnished causing the rack to stick, especially in the mornings. I would try some LUCAS power steering conditioner and stop leak. Seen it work wonders with this issue. You'll have to remove some fluid from the pump.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cam should not effect the power steering pump. Sometimes the bushings in the rack get varnished causing the rack to stick, especially in the mornings. I would try some LUCAS power steering conditioner and stop leak. Seen it work wonders with this issue. You'll have to remove some fluid from the pump.
Thanks, will give that a try.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the Lucas power steering fluid with conditioner, emptied the reservoir and poured the Lucas in and worked very well. Still just a little notchiness at slow speeds but feels way smoother; a huge improvement. I'm hoping it gets better the more I drive it. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts