Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a car show on Saturday and parking was very tight. I was pulling hard on the wheel to make it in the space and when I left I had no power steering. I jacked the front of the car up and turn the steering wheel lock to lock more than 20 times and that did not help. Could the power steering pump have blown just from turning hard?

Napa has one in stock but it's just the pump without the reservoir. If any of you recall my older posts, my uncle swapped out the steering box. Does that mean that I have to get a special pump or can I just get the one for a 67 gto?

·
64-67 Expert
8,840 Posts
Could be a stuck valve in the steering box. You need to tie in to the pressure line on the pump to check pressure to verify. I've seen pumps leak and get tired, but not 'blow' on these cars. Anything is possible, though. Check pump output/pressure if you can. My '67 had a leaking pump and box, so I ordered a kit for the pump on line for about $18 (this was 11 years ago) and rebuilt the pump myself. The rebuild took less time than the R&R of the pump. I got a reman box from O'Reilly's for $138 and it has been flawless for the past 11 years. Good luck, and please keep us posted on what you find.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been wanting to change the steering on this car for 2 years and have not. I don't like the steering box that's in it. Nevertheless, now I'm stuck and need to do something quick. All I know is that I turned the steering wheel as far as it would go to the left and then I lost my power steering

·
Registered
1967 400ci/TH400
219 Posts
I got a Borgeson steering box from Ames and installed it about 18 months ago; good steering and less turns to full left and right; works great so far. As far as steering pump, i got one from Ames as well with reservoir but it was back-ordered for a while. I was going to buy this one from Amazon if it was going to take much longer - https://smile.amazon.com/Lares-1315...29-7-14690------&vehicleName=1967+Pontiac+GTO

·
Administrator
6,667 Posts
I went to a car show on Saturday and parking was very tight. I was pulling hard on the wheel to make it in the space and when I left I had no power steering. I jacked the front of the car up and turn the steering wheel lock to lock more than 20 times and that did not help. Could the power steering pump have blown just from turning hard?

Napa has one in stock but it's just the pump without the reservoir. If any of you recall my older posts, my uncle swapped out the steering box. Does that mean that I have to get a special pump or can I just get the one for a 67 gto?
I wouldn't think so. There's a decent resource at powersteering.com that has some tech tips

Before throwing money at parts, I'd do some diagnostic work first.

As far as pumps, I think that nearly all the GM pumps in that format are the same except for minor differences in pulleys and perhaps output pressure. I swapped out my original pump for one that's spec'ed out for a GMC 3/4 ton diesel truck in order to get a "stronger" one to run my power steering and hydroboost brake system. The input shaft with regard to how it mounts the pulley was different, which meant I couldn't use my original pulley and of course the pulley offset was different so I had to fiddle with making some spacers to get the belt alignment right, but in terms of physical appearance it looks just like the pump it replaced.

Bear

·
Registered
521 Posts
I used a 1996 grand cherokee box on my 64. Fast ratio 12.7 to 1
As far as pumps, i used a reman in a 64 canister, set the pressure valve up till it turned easy at Idle....Done.

As far as your trouble, you need to check output pressure on the pump.
That being said you may have a broken T bar in the steering box. That would also cause the power steering assist to quit

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
This has happened to me

Quick fix...

Remove pressure hose and discharge fitting. Insert 6" 3/8 extension and pop the spring loaded relief valve loose. All it takes it a wee bit of dirt to wedge it in the bore.
Flush bore with carb cleaner, re-insert spring, valve, fitting and hose. Fill with fluid, bleed air.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I mentioned, Ive hated the steering on this car since I got it. My uncle said that he couldnt stand the number of turns required from the original box, so he "put in a quick ratio". Which I assume came from Ames? I did find an old/ original pump in the parts that I inherited with the car.

I always had trouble parking the car, because it simply wouldnt turn enough. I made several posts here, asking what I should do, but from what I gathered, I couldnt move ahead without first identifying what I already had, and I didnt understand how to do that... plus, its dark by the time I get off work and I work outside, so this job went to the extreme bottom of the pile.

Now I seem to be right back to that point, only this time the car is incapacitated.

Mechanics work on cars for 40 years and never understand air conditioning or carb jetting... For me, it's power steering. Im not sure how "steering" couldve caused a loss of steering. That being said, I appreciate all of the tips and links for "checking" stuff, but to a person with zero understanding of this, it's all super vague and generic.

Ive not seen anything posted yet, that mentions any procedure for any checks.

1. Is there a way to verify that the pump is good?
  2. What is a T bar and how do I check it?
  3. Is there an upgrade that I should be doing so that I can just get this mess off my plate, once and for all?
I have a car show this weekend, so ideally, I'll be fixing this tonight, and I have no idea where to start.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am very familiar with pumps and hydraulics, but Ive never taken a steering box or PS pump apart. Neither intimidate me, but Im concerned about parts matching... or spending $500 and 2 days, repairing something that wasnt broken.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This has happened to me

Quick fix...

Remove pressure hose and discharge fitting. Insert 6" 3/8 extension and pop the spring loaded relief valve loose. All it takes it a wee bit of dirt to wedge it in the bore.
Flush bore with carb cleaner, re-insert spring, valve, fitting and hose. Fill with fluid, bleed air.
Ed, I didnt see this post, prior to posting the above. I think it might have been you who was originally guiding me through the Grand Cherokee box stuff?

Im trying to find it now.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This has happened to me

Quick fix...

Is this on the pump or the box?

·
Registered
1967 400ci/TH400
219 Posts
I will leave the experts to answer your questions - since my power steering pump was leaking, hoses were old (who knows when they were changed) and I didn't like the number of turns of the steering wheel, i went with the "change everything" mode; it's my daily driver so always looking to make it easy to drive. New Borgeson steering box, new hoses, and new power steering pump. Happy with results but i'm sure not the cheapest option. Note that i kept all of the original parts for the purist in the future, especially the "12 point bolt" that holds the coupler joint between steering box and steering column. Look forward to hearing how you actually check these parts for proper function.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look forward to hearing how you actually check these parts for proper function.
That's what Im curious about.

A few of the guys posted links to great articles and the Jim Shea papers... but when you don't know what any of this stuff is, it's like reading Chinese.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you decide to replace the pump, here is what I used:
pump

Pump housing outlets require different fitting size than my stock unit, so I used these lines:
Edelman return hose EDL-70629
Gates pressure hose ZP-361200

Almost did the Grand Cherokee steering box conversion at the same time, but opted out of it. I recall reading that is the best box as you do not sacrifice quick ratio for less lock-to-lock like some of the other "fast" boxes sold. I'm sure LATECH could confirm since his car has it.

I think it's pretty simple. remove lines, rag joint and pitman arm. unbolt box from frame. replace everything in reverse and adjust steering wheel on spindle. wish i did it

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you decide to replace the pump, here is what I used:
pump

Pump housing outlets require different fitting size than my stock unit, so I used these lines:
Edelman return hose EDL-70629
Gates pressure hose ZP-361200

Almost did the Grand Cherokee steering box conversion at the same time, but opted out of it. I recall reading that is the best box as you do not sacrifice quick ratio for less lock-to-lock like some of the other "fast" boxes sold. I'm sure LATECH could confirm since his car has it.

I think it's pretty simple. remove lines, rag joint and pitman arm. unbolt box from frame. replace everything in reverse and adjust steering wheel on spindle. wish i did it
Thanks.

Yes @O52 and @LATECH have been guiding me on the topic for a while now, but the issue got demoted under the 5 speed conversion and cam.

Now Im ready to do it, but I have a few car shows this weekend, so at this point, Im just looking to get my steering working at all! Then Ill do the box next week

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Thanks.

Yes @O52 and @LATECH have been guiding me on the topic for a while now, but the issue got demoted under the 5 speed conversion and cam.

Now Im ready to do it, but I have a few car shows this weekend, so at this point, Im just looking to get my steering working at all! Then Ill do the box next week
I went with a Tuffstuff black with chrome lid, bolted right up no issues....got pix if you want but you knew that :D

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right now, everyone is telling me NOT to change the pump... but aside from that, I have no clue how to fix my car. Apparently there are things to clean and check, but I dont know where they are.

·
Registered
570 Posts
From the web (relevant to O52 "quick fix"):

HOW TO FREE A STUCK PRESSURE VALVE
1. Remove the pressure line from the power steering pump.
2. Remove the pressure fitting that the pressure line threads into.
3. Push on the valve that is located behind the pressure fitting. It will be spring
loaded, so you should feel it push back once it is moving.
4. After the valve is moving freely reinstall the pressure fitting, then the
pressure line.
5. Follow bleeding instructions. Make sure ignition system is disabled when
bleeding the system. If the vehicle is running the valve may get stuck again
if air passes by it. If it does repeat this procedure.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From the web (relevant to O52 "quick fix"):

HOW TO FREE A STUCK PRESSURE VALVE
1. Remove the pressure line from the power steering pump.
2. Remove the pressure fitting that the pressure line threads into.
3. Push on the valve that is located behind the pressure fitting. It will be spring
loaded, so you should feel it push back once it is moving.
4. After the valve is moving freely reinstall the pressure fitting, then the
pressure line.
5. Follow bleeding instructions. Make sure ignition system is disabled when
bleeding the system. If the vehicle is running the valve may get stuck again
if air passes by it. If it does repeat this procedure.
WOAH!!!!! So the vehicle should be off when trying to bleed the air out of the pump? Ive read on this forum that it should be running and then turn the wheel lock to lock, about ten times, but then now I've seen on other websites that the vehicle needs to be off!

Where are these "bleeding instructions"?

·
Administrator
6,667 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts