Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time! The Beast is ready, we're ready. I put on a set of drag bags yesterday so we'll be able to carry us, luggage, tools, spares, etc without dragging the bumper. I even talked Mrs. Bear into driving it last night a little (she's been a little 'skeered' of it).
If you're going to be anywhere nearby the tour, c'mon out and say howdy (if you can find us in the hoard of cool cars).

Wish us luck!

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Man i wish....daughters wedding in two weeks has squashed my hopes of making it this year, but its on my calender for next year...hope to see you there. Sent PM on the drag bags, have fun and take lots of pics for us...:cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Friends of mine left wednesday for Arlington. I couldn't get time off this year. I did part of the tour 2 years ago....have a blast, and be safe!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Day 1 under our belts. Every little town we went through, folks were gathered along the sides waving. It was like being in a giant parade.

Bear

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Heck, you're a regular celebrity...living the life! Excellent. Your hood doesn't look too bad, either. Car still looks GREAT, IMO. Still can't believe how straight it is. Drive safe.......

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I've been on it twice, lots of amazing cars and great people. Bear, are you gonna race at Memphis? Watching the racing was some of the most fun. The tours I was on they raced at Indy and St. Louis. Never know what your gonna see. Watched a guy run a '38 Cord down the track at Gateway then saw the best "sleeper" I've ever seen. A Z06 Vette pulled up to the line and next to him a guy pulled up with about a '82 Ford Fairmont station wagon that was dog crap brown and looked like it had been painted with a brush. We were laughing and wondering why anybody would take that POS out on the track. When the tree dropped that crappy old wagon pulled the front wheels about 3 feet off the ground and ran a 9.80 quarter mile! He got a standing ovation from the crowd when he came back around. Have fun Bear!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We got to Memphis in time to make some passes, or so we thought. The line to get into the place was BRUTAL! It took us well over an hour to inch down one side of the track, loop around the end of the quarter mile, then inch back up the other side of the track. The only place left to park was in West Egypt way out on the grass. By the time we got parked, I had less than an hour to figure out how to deal with/store all the crap in the car somewhere, fight the crowd to get to the staging lanes, and make a run. I decided it just wasn't worth it to try. I heard later that the track had planned for "about500 or 600 cars". Man did they every underestimate...

I did get a cool photo and autograpsh though, and I told him I'd like to see him make some round port heads with the new style chambers... :D

We went out on Beale Street last night and had an awesome steak at Blues CIty Cafe (thanks for the tip, Bob!)

Bear

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
When Vic sends you the prototypes i got dibs on your old heads...:D

How far are you going and where does it end this year?

thanks for the pics, sounds like a great mini vacation...:cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pretty good day today. The drive was on the longish side, but we got an early start and took the most direct route. We made one stop in Tupelo, MS to see Elvis's birth place. We even got a photo of "the three of us" with his house in the background. We toured it. It's tiny - only two rooms. Elvis's dad, Vernon, built it himself with $180 that he borrowed. They lost the house some time after that when he was unable to pay it back, and spent some time in the pokey for writing a hot check.

We made it to Hoover Stadium, south of Birmingham, shortly after 1pm today and actually got to park close, didn't have to fight traffic to get in, and generally had plenty of time to walk around and check out cars. It was great. We dodged several bullets during the afternoon, weather-wise, and managed to get to the hotel and into the room just before the skies opened up.

Tomorrow, we're off to Chattanooga. I looked to see if we might make a side trip to Leoma, TN, home of Butler Performance, but it's farther 0ut of the way than we want to go. I like this arriving early stuff - a lot.

Having a blast...

Bear and Mrs. Bear

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts