Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Well, coming from the world of Saab, who's been turbocharging their cars since 1978, I can say I have an affinity for both the small displacement turbo, as well as the ground-pounder of my GTO. Love 'em both. They're both fun as hell to drive, but very, very different. Both get looks, but from very different crowds.

However what I really love about the GTO is the very european feel -- my alternatives were Audi RS-4, Porsche Caymen or 911, or yet another Saab.

The price/performance equation was what sold it for me. The cheapest of that bunch was still 10 grand over the GTO, and 150 hp less. The Audi was over twice the price of the Goat, but only had 20 more HP. And Porsche, well, they're prices are stratospheric, granted the build quality is next to impossible to match.

I still have two "classic" Saab 900's, and probably won't ever get rid of them. But it's also clear to me that the GTO won't be leaving the stable either. Like I said, love turbo's, but love the "no replacement for displacement" mentality of the GTO just as much. I drive either when the mood strikes...

Oh, and btw, this is coming from the president of the D.C. area Saab Owner's Club, WASSAAB. :lol:

Jim Miller

'06 M6, Phantom Black, 18" wheels
'02 Saab 9-5 Aero SportWagon
'93 Saab 900 Turbo Commemorative Edition #116 of 325, heavily modified
'91 Saab 900 Turbo Special Edition Convertible, presently undergoing restoration

Attachments

Hey Jimbo- stupid question- is the classic 900 a RWD? I have a NG 900 for the wife to drive to work (she got tired of her Crossfire getting dings) and never really thought about the classic's configuration.
Joe

kwiktsi said:
Hey Jimbo- stupid question- is the classic 900 a RWD? I have a NG 900 for the wife to drive to work (she got tired of her Crossfire getting dings) and never really thought about the classic's configuration.
Joe
FWD, and has been ever since they're first 2 cyl, 2-stroke 25 hp car in 1947.

Only the Saabaru 9-2x or the ChevroSaab 9-7X are AWD.

Oh, and :cheers on the NG900. Sold mine for the Goat... Miss that car, but not too much now that I've had the beast for a while... :lol:

Jim M.

Which is why I tend to go for the older ones. Edgier, and when they actually were performance cars... They actually used to race/rally back in the day...

The last of the real performance Slabs were Viggen variants of the 9-3 -- sort of Saab's "GTO" (Viggen) to it's "Tempest" (9-3).

Jim M.

Hey Turbo Dude I Recently Picked Up An 06 Gto And Over At The Dealer Ship They Had One That Was Pushing 540 Hp .
The Car Was Programed To Run On Race Gas Had An Inner Cooled Magnacharger W/ 8 Lbs Of Boost And Full Length Headers Along W/ A Magna Flow Cat Back System ,the Car Was 6 Speed And I Do Not Know If It Was Flywheel Power Or Rear Wheel .i Do Know The Work Was Not Done There But You Can Probably Contact The Dealership For More Info Scott Pontiac And Gmc In El Monte California.
Good Luck Keep Me Posted On Your Toys Adventures. Me Personally I Like To Go Fast For Long Periods Of Time On A Long Open Road. Any Ideas?

I'm with you turbodude. I have an import and will be looking into getting a GTO. Not giving up on my import, just looking to expand my garage. I'd like to put 800 to the ground and wondering what tuning options there are for these cars? IE piggyback, standalone, or flash tuning.

Turbocharging is a must. I love the dynamic feel.

Jeff

Go drive one and you'll be sold. In the past couple of years in between domestic muscle I've had three Evo's (03 VIII, 04 RS, 06 RS) and a WRX. The turbo imports are great fun but day in and day out the GTO is much more comfortable and more fun when you want to go tail out :)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.