Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a rather unbelievable story about the GTO which transpired yesterday. We are in the keys on det and one of our pilot's came up to me and asked if that was my GTO that he had been seeing parked at the base? I replied that it was and he proceeded to tell me that he had one just like it years ago (which I hear frequently). He said his was the same color and a convertible. We talked about my restoration for a while and he stated that his was also an automatic HO car. He said he painted it red, I still didnt think much of it until I said that I had just located the correct carb for the car and he said that he had replaced his with a Holley. That's when I got a bit curious and asked him where he had the car? He said California but I sold it to my Brother in law in North Carolina. I said that is getting closer to home, he said that his brother in law sold it to his father in Virginia and I was intrigued. Long story short he owned the car from around 1987 to 1997 and helped to explain a lot of things about the car. He explained that the passengers seat was stolen the day before he bought the car and thats why my headrest was black. Also that the right fender was blue under the paint from a fender bender which I had noticed. Anyway I sent him a picture of me shaking hands with the guy I bought it from and he said that was his brother in law and his son, He said he has a lot of old pictures of the car and may even have the original window sticker which he got from the previous owner. He also said his brother may still have the original carb, radio and 8 track player somewhere in storage!

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Cool story. You have to wonder how many times a car has traded hands over 40 plus years.

I'm only the third owner of my car but the previous owners, while they did keep it all stock ,were not kind to it. Mother nature had definitely had her way with the GTO before i got it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool story. You have to wonder how many times a car has traded hands over 40 plus years.

I'm only the third owner of my car but the previous owners, while they did keep it all stock ,were not kind to it. Mother nature had definitely had her way with the GTO before i got it.
It sounds like I am the 7th owner, this guy is going to dig up any info he has when he gets home, I might be able to get in contact with the original owner!

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
That is amazing.....especially the CA/FLA connection. What are the odds??? I am the fifth owner of my '65, but have owned it 31 years. It changed hands a bunch between '65 and '82. Odd that your guy sold the car after owning it ten years....usually, after that amount of time, it's a 'keeper'. I'll bet you were responsible for more than a few smiles when they saw your freshly restored beauty!!! Great post!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
very cool that car traveled coast to coast and reconnected, that's provenance in a collectible, and now you will have a richer history for it. Although the Tempest went through a few hands i am the third documented owner and only second to have it on the road. Would love to track down the original as by the bumper and parking stickers it also was a military car and spent time in Virginia, Baltimore and D.C., as well as Idaho over it's 10 years on the road and 128,000 miles.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Love the story. Can I share one too. Had a 64 post LeMans back in the 90's which I had cloned to look alot like my Conv. Marimba Red, Black vinyl roof, But I Didn't put a real 64 GTO hood on. To hard to fine and already up the 1,000 to 1,200 dollar range. So I put what I called a 64 & 1/2 hood on it. 65 GTO scoop welded onto the LeMans hood. Only seen about 4 of them.
Drove it all the time, until my older brother decided he had to have it one day. Like a dummy I sold it to him for 7,000 which is what I had in it. Will about 8 months somebody offered him $8,000 for it so he sold it. Still upset with him to this day about that.
In 2011 on my home from the Portland Oregon, GTOAA Nationals. I had stopping at Nebruska's Pioneer Village on my to do list. Had on my GTOAA Nationals t-shirt. This guy walks up to me and ask what year car I have. 64 of course.. He said him too, but his car as a 65 scoop in it. So I say is it Marimba Red? YES Does it have a Black vinyl roof? YES
Couple more questions and then tell that is my old 64. You know when it lives now. White Pine, Tennessee. And we just both happened to be far from home at the same time. It is a small world sometimes!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Man that will be awesome if you get the original window sticker, carb and 8 track. Now you can put the original carb on and sell the one that you are rebuilding. I believe I am the 5th owner of my car, thanks to the state of NY, I no longer have the title with everyones names on it.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Not a GTO but......a coworker recently bought a 37 Chevy business coupe from the original owners son. Been parked since 1959! real barn find and all original. It came with the original 1937 title and all paperwork up to 59 with oil changes and reciepts.

He actually has it running now and plans on driving it occasionally (hes got about 12 cars and 5 harleys but no kids lol).

Unfortunately I think he's planning to streetrod it with an LS motor.......

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good stories!
Well he isn't having luck with the window sticker and his brother lives in Japan for now but, he is going to scan all the pics he has of the car. I'll post em' on here as soon as I get them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts